Birthday Coming Up, Which Detector to Give to Myself...

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, CTX, GPX 4500, and another Nox 800 for my friends...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I am not totally new to this treasure hunting thing, when I was in school I used to dig up spots in my Dad's garden and I found all sorts of cool stuff. He couldn't walk in the garden after dark, but he understood. Anyway, we somehow ended up with a Sears detector and I used it to find some old aluminum hunting arrows. It wasn't the best detector, but it kept me occupied for awhile. That was almost 25 years ago...

Now it's time to start again. I am going to get myself a detector for my birthday and don't really have any clue what to get. I want something simple and fairly straightforward but I also want it to get the job done. I am wanting to spend about $500.

If anyone has some advice and an opinion, I'd appreciate it. The kind of advice I'm looking for would be from someone that has, or has used, more than one detector. If you've only owned one detector it's kinda hard to formulate a strong opinion. (not that there aren't those that have strong opinions)

One more thing... I'm not looking to buy your old detector. so please don't try to sell it to me. I want a bright, shiny, new one. If you know of a trustworthy dealer to buy from, please share that info with me too.

Please let me know and don't sweat it if I don't get back here for a day or two, I'm the Cubmaster for my son's Cub Scout Pack and it's Pinewood derby time.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could recommend quite a few, but your better off checking out the major manufactures web sites to see what they are offering now. A lot has happened in 25 years to detectors. You will get many trying to get you to use the detector they are using which is nice for them, but you want one that you can use and have confidence with.

As for where to buy, if you have a dealer near you where you can visit and try them for "size," so much the better. Dealers can only sell at the lowest price the manufacture tells them too. That's why you will never see a clearence sale.........

One dealer many here on the forum are using is http://www.tcmetaldetectors.com/ Tony is knowledgeable and can help if you give him a call.
You can soon take them cub scouts out to help you search......

HH,
Sandman

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
For a little more than $500 you could pick up a Minelab Soveriegn, which IMHO, would be the best machine for the money.

Or you can buy a Garrett Ace 250 for about $250.

sparkymaster

Feb 21, 2005
South Ogden, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX-XLT-M-6
If it were me I'd do it the same way twice.

Get a Whites Prizm IV and upgrade the coil to the 9.5" like the Prizm V has and get a good set of head phones. I used this detector for a long time and don't regret it a bit. It's reliable, easy to use, accurate, pinpoints very well, light weight, adjustable and less than $500.00 with the deal Whites has going on, (they give you a credit for merchandise).

Check around for sure but you won't be sorry with a Whites for the money.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I would buy a Minelab Xterra 50 or Musketeer Advantage before the Whites Prizm series. Nothing wrong with the Prizms, just intro machines that you will outgrow within a year.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the Tesoro home site. GREAT machines. Look at their dealers list and find one that has a website, and you can usually buy your choice of models at about 80% of retail--and usually free shipping. I just got my new DeLeon from Metaldetector.com like that.

OP
OP
saftgeek

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I decided to go with the ACE 250. I figure this will give me a chance to test the water and if I really enjoy searching the earth for treasure, then I can give my son the ACE and upgrade later. I ordered the MD on Saturday night and I'm really impatient about the length of time the delivery is taking. I went ahead and also ordered a pinpointer, I hope that wasn't a wasted purchase...

Hope to see you all in the best finds section soon...

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never used an ACE but I hear there a fine machine, I'm sure you will be happy with your purchase. Getting a pinpointer was a wise move, you won't believe the amount of time it will save you in the diggin area.

Now get out there and find some treasure so we can see some pics!! ;D

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the ace 250 and love it...and you didn't make a mistake on the pinpointer..it will save you a lot of time....HH and have fun with those cub scouts.

OP
OP
saftgeek

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I had to go to a meeting and it was dark when I got home, however; I couldn't take it and I put the ACE together and grabbed a flashlight. I went to the front yard with my wife following. She was a little concerned when I started digging a hole in the grass... after all I am constantly complaining about how the dogs are ruining my lawn. Anyway, I dug and learned a little history lesson, Jolly Ranchers used to come wrapped in a foil wrapper.

Well tonight it was the same thing, run home grab it and hit the back yard. Well I found a battery, wire, nail, Matchbox Car, a billion pieces of aluminum from a can being hit by the lawnmower, a wingnut and this little gem...

scan0002.jpg scan0003.jpg

It's not gold, but I think it's cool to dig something out of the earth and return it to civilization, so to speak.

Good luck this weekend...

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it...I don't know why we are so enthusiastic about checking out our new detectors..lol I was following every ups truck in town the day mine was supposed to be delivered...Came in after dark...and yes..put it together and grabbed the flashlight and digger and out in the front yard..lol Looked like gophers had a good time during the night...Told my wife the next morning...Darn moles...LOL HH and have fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread