Were you ever used by a detecting buddy ?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greed sucks. We live, we learn.

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I,m new to this hobby....

and i just can,t see how someone would be that sneaky or greedy over detecting.

Maybe I,m niave... but this is just a hobby... is it fair to say that 95% of detectorists are doing it for fun... not for profit ???????

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As the old saying goes, "Loose lips sinks ships". It is a good idea to never reveal sites you discover on your own to anyone. Our hobby is highly competitive and to some, friendship or "fair play" means nothing. I introduced someone to the hobby once who turned out to be unethical. Never did it again. Like yourself, I learned that lesson the hard way. Some enjoys the company of others while detecting and to each his/her own but for me it will always be a solitary pursuit. Too bad that happened to you, but you can always find new sites but this time keep a tight lip! Good luck and HHing!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you get for being nice.Some people are just "One Way people".If ya ever feel the need for hunting company,take a buddy to a place that you have hit hard,9 times out of ten these place still contain something to be found.We never find it all.To me that is being nice enough!Happy Hunting bro!

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is why my buddy and I keep almost all of our places to ourselves.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
why do you think i haven't told anyone about the french cache i found from the french indian war?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
or the ldm mine

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a life long avid deer hunter, I learned many years ago an important lesson. When you put a lot of time, effort and money (ie..blood, sweat and tears so to speak) into something that you are passionate about pursuing........keep it to your dang self if your not willing to accept having it all "poached" right out from under you. Detecting/treasure hunting is a different pursuit, but the same principle applies.......TR

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, been in your position too. I'm too honest, trustworthy, generous and I learned my lesson. I detect alone most of the time.
Sorry to hear about that scumbag poaching your spot.
-MM-

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've never been in that situation as my hunting partner is my better half but I have read several threads like this and it makes me I'll sometimes at the greedy nature of humans.I'm sorry that happened to you.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't even tell my co-workers, because lots of people have metal detectors, and news of great finds can spread fast.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always hunt alone.Secret spots are no longer secret spots when you tell someone else about it.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took two of my buddies (they begged) to my best arrowhead spot many years ago, and we found a few as always. No Clovis or Knife River flint, but ordinary stuff.

They went back without me a week later and didn't ask permission from the farmer. Needless to say, he wouldn't allow anyone on his property again - can't blame him.

dirtydig

Oct 7, 2013
virginia
Detector(s) used
A T Pro, ace 250, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this has happened to me in the past. i try to look at it like this.. nice people are nice people, never allow something like this to change you. i continue to show people my hunting spots in hopes that they will respect me, however i do hold some spots back until i can hunt them some. for me a hunting buddy is a safety thing, plus as most of the old timers know my coil can miss the same things your coil will miss. no spot is ever hunted out unless its bull dozed. Happy Hunting!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course it has almost EVERYTHING to do with the person. I only hunt with a few people, and we all sorta share our spots...most of them have been hunted heavily, but things still pop out every now and then. Plus we all have an understanding not to hunt spots that the other has founded without them.

its not worth losing a freindship over a couple 2 dollar silver dimes

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an experience one time. It was probably 30 years ago. I took a small group of people on a treasure hunt in Colorado. One of them I knew just through the others. When on the hunt he began acting skiddish. Then, it escalated to almost paranoia. His emotional state regarding what he was going to do when we found something so spooked the rest of us that we packed it in early and left. There is nothing worse than someone getting a dangerous 'Gold Fever'.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread