Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
same here last month $3.2950

re filled Friday, will update when bill arives

I sure hope not $5.00 :o will be my last fill-up i can afford till next winter :o

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
01/07/2014 $2.37 per. Just converted from all electric house 2 years ago. What it costed to fill my 500 gallon tank that lasts 8 months is what i used to pay for one month with electric.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
01/07/2014 $2.37 per. Just converted from all electric house 2 years ago. What it costed to fill my 500 gallon tank that lasts 8 months is what i used to pay for one month with electric.

948$ to fill from empty at 2.37? That's a lot of lectric for 1 month! I think a remodel and insulation would have been feasible at that price and would have paid for itself fairly quickly!

Say times 9 months in case a few were lighter use=8500$
Too bad Heat pumps don't work as well up there, But you could use a geothermal heatpump and probably pay 13000$ for the installation. ( I know, a gas pack heat feels warmer though)

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is NO shortage..it is all being exported, its worth a lot more over seas, so that's why y'all are paying more, current stats for this week, are 431 thousand Barrels per day being exported..your bottom line, is not as important as their bottom line.

U.S. Exports of Propane and Propylene (Thousand Barrels per Day)

Mike

"your bottom line, is not as important as their bottom line." Irrelevant and divisive statement Mike. Businesses are not in business for charity.

New business and new innovations always start with a need, or a niche. Not because of Gov intervention, and not because of populist derision, although sometimes in spite of it.

Someone will see a market, a product, or a breakthrough and fix a problem if there is enough need for it. And some do it for free.

Benjamin Franklin Invented The Franklin Stove
"Benjamin Franklin developed a new style of stove with a hoodlike enclosure in the front and an airbox in the rear. The new stove and reconfiguration of the flues allowed for a more efficient fire, one that used one quarter as much wood and generated twice as much heat. When offered a patent for the fireplace's design, Benjamin Franklin turned it down. He did not want to make a profit. He wanted all people to benefit from his invention."

When I was a kid people used to go across the border for 10 cent propane. But our Gov put a stop to that,, couldn't collect their piece of the pie. So tax on Propane, like tax on gas, add to your payout.

How do you think this turned out,, lately?
Propane Industry Prepares to Battle to Protect Its Tax Breaks : Roll Call Policy

"
[h=1]Propane Industry Prepares to Battle to Protect Its Tax Breaks[/h] [h=2]Two alternative-fuel tax credits that currently apply to propane are set to expire at the end of the year[/h] 1 Comment

Email

wyden100813.jpg
Bill Clark/CQ Roll Call File Photo
Wyden, who serves as chairman of the Energy and Natural Resources Committee, has said the stop-and-start nature of many energy tax incentives must change.
[h=3]Related Links[/h]

Propane lobbyists are gearing up for a hard sell on Capitol Hill for tax incentives they say would help make the fuel more readily accessible to vehicle fleet operators and homeowners who want to invest in energy-efficient technologies."

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amerigas website. With enough intervention you have to wonder how the price on anything can be stable, no one knows which way the wind will blow next week.

Update on the Alternative Fuel Tax Credit | AmeriGas Propane Blog

"
At the beginning of April, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) clarified and extended the deadline for the alternative fuel tax credit to July 1. At issue was that the due date for filing claims for payments related to alternative fuel (which includes propane) had already passed by the date that tax credits were extended by Congress. The tax credits were retroactively extended from December 31, 2011 with the American Taxpayer Relief Act (also known as the “fiscal cliff” legislation) on January 2, 2013.
The $0.50 per gallon tax credit for propane and other alternative fuels are still set to expire at the end of this year on December 31, 2013. This notice from the IRS just extends the time to claim retroactive credits until July 1."

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well that's all fine and dandy, but make somebody else feel the crunch, those are our resources going away, and even if you do not use propane and use Nat gas, you are still paying for the recovery, fracking wells effect all of us, and not in a free market way either.

Mike

harleyglide

Jun 16, 2013
illinois
Detector(s) used
sharpshooter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My natural gas bill was over 250 dollars for the month the highest i ever had on a typical chicago bungalow.That at 68 on the thermostat time for a wood stove!

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
My natural gas bill was over 250 dollars for the month the highest i ever had on a typical chicago bungalow.That at 68 on the thermostat time for a wood stove!

Hey harleyglide, out of curiosity on your bill it lists a break down of charges, of that 250 bucks, how much of the bill is under..should say something along the lines of..gas recovery charge..that's what it is called on my bill.
Or distribution charge or both.
I am willing to bet those 2 charges are way more than the gas portion, since monies under those headings are what pays them to build all the wells and pipes and other goodies.

I know somebody will say that's normal, but I have a relative that's very high up the corporate food chain at consumers energy ( my utility ) that likes to tell me things about what those charges really are.

Mike

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Commercial rate was $2.79 last Wed. As of yesterday, I't went up to $3.09, and expected to keep going up according to the company that services our account. Don't know what the residential rate is for our area.

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
948$ to fill from empty at 2.37? That's a lot of lectric for 1 month! I think a remodel and insulation would have been feasible at that price and would have paid for itself fairly quickly!

Say times 9 months in case a few were lighter use=8500$
Too bad Heat pumps don't work as well up there, But you could use a geothermal heatpump and probably pay 13000$ for the installation. ( I know, a gas pack heat feels warmer though)

Dave I fill the 500 gallon tank 2x per year, cost before last fill was $1.71 per. Electric costs are normally 90-100 monthly. The deep heating season was the only time Dec,Jan,Feb months I would get a wild electric bill like that. This house was built specifically for electric usage. I remember back in the 1960's a huge push for electric heat use. 1965 is the year of this home. Originally these houses promoted by Connecticut Light and Power as, "Gold Medallion" homes. Glad I made the conversion. Best bet is to fill late fall and again in late spring when prices are low. Insulation,windows,doors are all improvements I have made to reduce my heating cost bottom line.

OP
OP
R

Recluse

Greenie
Jan 25, 2014
Southern Illinois
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My supplier confirmed their price went up to $4.79. I am on a "keep filled" list so they fill my tank whenever they are in the area. I guess you could say that they are rationing because he said that they are not adding to anyone who has 50% or more.

To add to the conspiracy, a guy who works at the refinery 30 miles away says that they are "burning off" excess supply.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that's all fine and dandy, but make somebody else feel the crunch, those are our resources going away, and even if you do not use propane and use Nat gas, you are still paying for the recovery, fracking wells effect all of us, and not in a free market way either.

Mike
Thanks Mike, This question cannot be answered on this site. But you probably have something, or a lot of something that some poor guy in another country said "that is our resources".

Have you ever heard the quote, "Under my plan, energy prices will necessarily skyrocket"?
Beware of someone nudging you into thinking you want regulation and intervention.

Dak, I buried a 500 gal tank but I didn't have enough gas appliances and it made the gas companies upset, I had to purchase my tank. The companies lobbied for a law about that so I have to show my receipt for my tank every time I fill up. The company I bought the tank sold the area to another company and that company tried to put a sticker on my tank lid like they owned it,, I ran them off my property.

Because I own my tank I am allowed to shop around for gas when I need it, believe it or not it is cheaper. When these companies own your tank they own your supply, and you pay more. It is very much like your cell phone and your service. Subsidized by a higher contract rate.

Last edited:

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bought 200 gallons at $2.79 last week.

Last time I had my tank filled was in July of last year, $1.24 a gallon!

If you can hold out, give it a few weeks for the prices to settle down some. This has been the coldest winter that I can remember in the last 20 years. A lot of water pipes that don't normally freeze have frozen.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pre-bought 1000 gallons at 1.99 in november,seems like a good deal now

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our local proprane company told use the shortage is due to all the farmers sucking it up in order to dry there crops. ? They do burn mass amounts of the stuff in there driers. I just find it hard to believe corn an soy beans aren't that high per bushel. Why would they be in such a hurry to dry and sell??? Im not a farmer so I really don't know thats just what we were told.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread