My 1st Detector

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Anyone else have one of these? Don't remember what happened to the detector itself, but found this today:

DSC07347.JPG DSC07348.JPG

PlayingInTheDirt

Nov 17, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Nokta Fors Relic, Sunray X-1 Probe, Garrett Pro Pointer, Coiltek Coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one bad detector right there, Man if you could only find out were you put it at...LOL

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's probably hiding in the closet!

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I use to own one of those... back in the 1970's .. lol

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, that was my first too. Got it as a birthday present if I recall. I believe 1978!

Smooth Blend

Nov 30, 2013
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari w/ 11"DD coil, 10"x12"SEF, 15"WOT coil, Garrett Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wana give it a swing, looks fun to use.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I can't remember the name of my first one but it was small, gray and had only one or two knobs. I think it had a name like pioneer or something like that. My second one however was REAL step up for me. A Jetco Treasure Hawk. It had 4 knobs and a meter!! :D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's Old Skool right there. Did it come with a pack of Sea Monkey's too? :tongue3:
-MM-

Attachments

• sm.jpg
    sm.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 79

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got that exact detector back in the 70s and still have it.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those were around in the 80s too. My brother had one.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn, your getting old aint ya!I bet you dug up some stuff with that thing thow.My first machine was a radio shack machine,called a treasure tracker or something like that in the mid 80's.One knob and everyEverything was wide open! found some stuff with that thing thow.I have to give it allot of credit for getting me into this awesome hobby!

Last edited:

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had one very similar around 1966. It was black plastic with a little needle meter. I think it was a BFO because it made a horrendous noise!

I made my first great find with it, but I didn't know it at the time and threw it away. I got a loud signal, and of course it had no discrimination, so it was a matter of digging everything that yelped. Down about eight inches was a chunk of iron, so I nearly filled the hole and left, but I saw it had a rimmed edge so I kept digging around the perimeter. It was rectangular and appeared to be heavy like a piece of old stove. I wiped the dirt off the iron plate and there, big as life, were the words "Wells Fargo" and whatever other words I don't recall. I was all excited because it looked like an old iron strongbox. I dug all around the edges so I could try to pull it from the ground. I gave a great heave and fell back on my butt. It was only the lid. I was so disappointed, I threw the thing as far as I could manage. Now I would LOVE to have that lid!

thebirdflu

Aug 29, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the same one as a Christmas present when I was 6, early 80's. I quickly got tired of digging nails and bottle caps. Took 25 years to get back into the hobby. Now that I think back I wish I would have stuck with it.

gimper

Jul 25, 2013
Illinois far from Chicago
Detector(s) used
CZ-6, White's Eagle 1(both broken) Compass X-100 and no pen to point (why waste batteries)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man I guess, I must have been blessed but my first was a Whites no disc. dug tons of metal, dug everything, found lots of metal, by shear volume found nice finds with it, wish scrap was worth then what it is priced at now, would have made money! damn but that thing would go deep on silver thou! That was about 1970 or so. Its sick how fast the past goes by, too damn quick!!!

smt24219

Jan 20, 2014
Big Stone Gap, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother had one of those in the early '80's! That is what first got me interested in metal detecting, but it took me 30 years to get my own. Lol

louie41

Aug 23, 2013
Maryland Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus, Ace 350, whites BHID, TRX PP and Whites digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my first was blue box mustang I ordered from AAFES catalog while Dad was stationed in Germany eifel region.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I borrowed this little all-metal Radio Shack job from a family friend back in '73. Used it for a couple weeks. Didn't find any coins with it but caught the fever. The next year I bought a Jetco Huntmaster which I DID find coins with. That was followed soon after by the Garrett BFO "Discriminator." Still have that one.

Radioshackmd2.JPG

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had one of those orange jobs as a kid, but my old man didn't want me to use it in the yard, "because of the holes"... the house was built in 1852, bummer. Now 30 years later I take great pride in DIGGING ALL THE HOLES I WANT IN *MY* YARD........take that Dad.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi gilgar; LOOOOOORD.!!! does that bring back the memories. I had one of those. I also started detecting using the Model made just before it. A BFO. good for 4" and drove everyone nuts.!! I loved it. :laughing7: True it was did not go deep and found every pulltab from here to Pluto. BUUUT!! back then it didn't matter. Half the coins back then WERE SILVER. !! We found Mercs, Buffs, Indians etc all the time. We always found silver rings as well. I was happy. Because of that detector I got in 1968 I have now spent 45 years of hard in the field detecting enjoying every minute of it. I have have come to find after all this that the greatest Treasure a man can find is Peace Of Mind. God knows I found mine. May you find yours too. PEACE:RONB

Gold007

May 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Garrett pin pointer. I want a Garrett GTI 2500 or an AT Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was the first generation detector lol... I don't remember those, too young to remember hahah

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread