Madre Vena / Mother Load/Vain. What do you know?

Jan 29, 2014
Arkansas
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hi, I'm doing some research on the Madre Vena. As a life long resident of Arkansas I am fascinated by the stories that I have read in just my short time of research on the topic of a cave with the last of the Spanish gold from Arkansas inside. I have read the two standard versions of the stories, (the top Google search stories that is) I am really more interested in the last people recorded to have found the cave. Has anyone heard of any of the Vanwormer family having a map of the area where the cave is supposed to be? Or even the other men who helped with Frank Vanwormer, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about the legend. Thanks for the help and info.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am afraid I don't know the story, but you have definitely intrigued me! I love good treasure tales. I figure there has to be some truth to them. Just takes research to filter it down to what is real and what has been added through the years. You've picked a good place to ask, though. Someone here is bound to have heard it.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.S. - I've done some cache hunting in Arkansas if you ever need a partner.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even more intriguing!

OP
OP
S
Jan 29, 2014
Arkansas
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've read accounts where Vanwormer and his party died in a cave in when trying to blast through the lime stone slab that they thought was the 'door'. I have also read an account that stated that they started trying to blast and that John Koch was hit in the head by a flying rock and was taken back to a doctor and that after a while Frank Vanwormer covered the entrance back up by blasting. (legend here) but I'm in the process of tracking down their relatives to see if I can get the true Story. Thanks for the info the more the better. :)

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Madra Vena Treasure (Nedra Veta Lode on the 1903 Benton County Atlas) Cave has since been renamed and is now is now known as Bear Hollow Cave and is one of only three caves in the world known to harbor the endangered cave crayfish (Cambarus aculabrum). It has been thoroughly explored and goes back at least 1/2 mile, some say more.

The inpenetrable heavy steel barrier is not even "Bat Friendly" and getting caught trying to access it would likely be very costly.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread