one for the post,....what happened to silver american coins??

lionhrt9

Dec 10, 2005
NW Indiana, there's silver in dem grounds!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab (Xterra50) and Garrett (Ace 250)<-Gone to dad in Montana
Not only for me but the greenies also that are wondering why ???. I know the folks on this forum can put this together WAY better than me but I'm going to put in what i know.

I have done some research but can't find the Real story of what happened to the silver coins pre 1965. I know that the folks on TNet can put it together way better than me. (esp. when some experienced it!!)

What happened to silver coins..... I have heard that a team of brothers (names are mixed in the research) understood that they could corner the market on silver or something and that they actually affected the silver market. They got several thousands of coins and melted them down and the US silver market went way up.

I think that the Dtectorist that never had these coins floating in their pockets, which could buy there way into a movie for 25c (like my mom and dad) want to know. People are buying high end detectors that can give them the ability to get silver, and when they do we go nuts cause in the US it is lost on the mint. In the end they want to know why, just my add to the post, welcome all responses.

Zym

Jan 19, 2007
Gig Harbor WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend ( 6", 11", and 13x13.5" coils)
Ancient Garret Groundhog AM-2
A lot was melted in the early eighties when the price of silver went up to $50/oz. Yep, the Hunt brothers thought they could corner the market. At least one of them went bankrupt and ended up doing jail time. The remainder is bought/sold/stored as bullion by investors. you can go to metals dealer and buy pre-65 silver coins at spot prices. Right now between 9-10 X face value IE a roll of quarters goes for between $90-$100 at todays spot price.

shanko

Dec 6, 2006
Anderson, In.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer 202
Just the other day I got a 1964 quater from the gas station in change. Its hard to belive thers still some silver floating around in circulation. They really stand out in compairson to more current dates. And yes, I added it to my collection.

Shanko

S

skydiv

back then I did sell a hand full of rosies for .60 a coin.I think in 3 years of detecting i found 1.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I remember the Hunt brothers. The US Mint stopped making silver coins and silver and gold certificates at least a decade before the Hunt brothers.
Our monetary system used to be based on gold and silver. One paper dollar could be traded on demand for one dollar in silver from the US government. Paper money used to represent gold or silver stored in Fort Knox. Now it is just paper, and the coins are just clad, and they keep printing more, causing inflation.

The Hunt brothers temporarily raised the price of silver to about 40 dollars an ounce, I believe, and many coins were melted for bullion. I saved one coin of each date. We may never know how many 50's and 60's coins were destroyed.

Attachments

• silver certificate.jpg
    silver certificate.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 234
  • silver certificate.jpg
    silver certificate.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 229

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was working for a company that made photographic emulsions (using silver nitrate) and silver was up to around $50 per oz. in the Hunt Brothers hay-day around 1980. We never did recover from that wild ride. One of my chums in the cost accounting dept was buying silver at $14/oz just prior and thought he was a made man. In about 1985 he was back to $5/oz and smiling a lot less.

Circulated silver was worth more in materials for quite a run, but the good coins still had more value as collectables.

The lost silver coins in the ground weren't effected at all. They were there and still are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions