Moccasin Last?

Smithy

Feb 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like you to take at look at what I believe to be two stone moccasin lasts (effectively shoe forms). Searching the web, I can find little in the way of confirmation that such a thing exists. Some say that such things are merely rocks that happen to be foot shaped, while others say that too many are found at known artifact sites to be a coincidence. None of the pictures I have seen of these come anywhere close to being as good as these. One of them is so perfect, that it seems unmistakable. The other one, found at the same private site in MN, is not as well formed as the first, but is virtually the same design. These two items were found along with a celt and other clearly identifiable and unmistakable stone artifacts. Given these facts, I think this is the real deal, and if so, may be extremely rare.

Generally, the shape is spot on with a shoe last. However, I notice the narrowing above the heal area, and found that to be strange and out of a natural foot shape. Then it occurred to me that a narrowing at that point would make it far easier to remove once a moccasin was finished. You could reach into the opening in a moccasin and grasped the narrow area easily with a thumb and finger to pull it out. Food for thought. The second, lighter colored one, has good shape on top, though not as smooth, but is a bit bulbous on the bottom. The top is a little bumpy as if it has been worked, whereas the bulbous bottom has a smoother more natural feel. I'm not sure what to think of that. Maybe it was close enough, or maybe this one wasn't finished, or maybe these were primarily used to form the top and sides of the moccasins, or maybe these are just shockingly last-like shaped rocks.

Please see for yourself and I'd love to hear your thoughts on these two items.
DSC00624.jpg DSC00625.jpg DSC00626.jpg DSC00627.jpg DSC00628.jpg DSC00630.jpg DSC00631.jpg DSC00632.jpg DSC00633.jpg

For comparison, here is a more modern shoe last..
imagesCAPJPSX3.jpg

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry, but they just look like rocks to me, and they seem too short.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are just rocks. I guess you never made any moccasins, because if you had you would know that a last is not needed to do so.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moccasins were custom fitted for each individual.
Your "Last" or mold idea would make sense if a prehistoric person set up a footwear manufacturing business and mass produced a "One size fits all" moccasin!
;D
Cheers,
Dave.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw one of those displayed once as a 'moccasin stone' used in in making footwear. It was more foot shaped. I knew Kiowas from the teepee era in Oklahoma and they said they never used such a thing. However, they did say they understood how it could be used and might be kinda handy. I don't find any historical references about the use of this as a shoe last, but maybe some people did.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unlike other stone artifacts - the stones in your pictures don't have any associated marks or wear patterns with which a strong
connection to any tool can be made - in contrast to arrow straighteners , manos /metates , axe heads , spear points ,arrow heads ,
etc. To be anything more than just a W.A.G. you need something more here - provenance - something .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread