I think Boom Baby hit it. lol Frank... hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yea, I detect in the city all the time, I love it! That's no joke, when it thaws we have a bunch of places to hit up!

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh yea, I detect in the city all the time, I love it! That's no joke, when it thaws we have a bunch of places to hit up!

Wow! I'm glad to hear that. All we, who have never been there, hear is that you're in mortal danger just walking to the nearest convenience store. All we ever hear is crime and violence. Glad to know it's not all that way!

But then, I'm sure that's all you hear of Tegucigalpa, too. Bad news sells. :dontknow:

OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet this would be old coin city.
What is special about Belle Isle?

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well not much special about belle isle, unless you think like a treasure seeker..like myself. Its always been a place for picnics, fishing and all sorts of things since the early 1800's!!..now you have to remember back before the invention of things like electricity and air conditioning folks would do whatever to stay cool in the humid blistering heat in the summer. So belle isle offered a great place to hang out or sleep as temps are normally a lot cooler than the city proper.
So yeah coin hunting paradise..admittedly its beyond trashy, even back in the 70's it was tough to detect for the trash..but some great finds came from there, still do on ocassion.

Mike

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Belle isle is awesome, people used to ice skate in winter, canoe in summer, it's still a great place.

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I have, Detroit Texas:laughing7:
Birthplace of Vice President Catus Jack Garner. Said the vice presidency wasn't worth a bucket of warm s#it

Last edited:

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I avoid digging in trash dumps.

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I avoid digging in trash dumps.

Haha...I think I know what you're getting at, but actually, some of my best finds were from the old city dump in Yuma, now covered by a new city park. My ONLY seated dime came from there, and a tunic button from a uniform of Emperor Maximilian's army from around 1860's. I got kicked out of there three times before I developed a love-hate relationship with the lady parks director. After she became convinced that I was packing out a lot of lead and copper trash, she agreed to let me come in anytime until the construction was finished. Little did she know I was recycling the lead and copper, and I found probably a hundred pounds of lead pipes, etc. The "GR" gold ring was HUMOUNGUS heavy!

A few of the city dump finds....not anything really exciting, but pretty cool.
Half2.jpg MiscFinds.jpg MiscFinds2.jpg TrashSiteFinds.jpg MiscFinds5.jpg

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody hates Detroit on here, there are still god places in the city, believe it or not there still are a few nice neighborhood's left, I'll admit that there are some very rugged places, but my MD'ing buddies and I have gotten some really cool stuff out of there, be it coins relics and bottles, Detroit is my home town,although I do live in a suburb of the city, but I do have Detroit pride.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't hate Detroit, rather like it quite a bit..one thing that always amazed me though, is look at the difference a few feet makes when on the city line with the pointes ,one step this way and its trashy overgrown ghetto, one foot that way and its instant manicured lawns and mansions with a magical barrier against garbage. But then you have neighborhoods like palmer woods or Indian village. The city is so diverse, but downtown is definitely changing, won't be long and it will an exclusive enclave, almost is now.

Mike

nycwalter

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up on the east side. There used to be a playground/park on ferry between moran and elmwood. It used to be full of people for decades and i kbow i lost plenty playing there.
If you decide to go i strongly suggest do it in a group with at least one person carrying.
The park has been nothing but an over grown field since the 80s and i doubt its ever been detected. It covers almost the entire block from moran to ferry yo elmwood to kirby.

If you do go post your finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions