Killing Captain America....

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Marvel Comics, the producer of the Captain America series of comics has announced plans to kill the patriotic shield carrying hero.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--captainamerica0307mar07,0,7045870.story?coll=ny-region-apnewyork

I wonder if this is the right time to be killing off a symbol of patriotism, of American values, of the can-do attiutude.
Cap has been around since 1941, and although a comic book, has always stood as a symbol of America.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
always dug cap,but like every comic book fan knows,heros never die,they always pop up eventually

OP
OP
cryptodave

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
bomber said:
always dug cap,but like every comic book fan knows,heros never die,they always pop up eventually

Tis true Bomber, they never stay dead except Barry Allen, but rumors are he will be back eventually soon too.

I just question the timing of killing him at this time, during the current political environment.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they killed barry?how?stopped reading/buying comics 20 years ago.still have a couple of thousand comics stashed away,mostly late 60s and early 70s

OP
OP
cryptodave

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Barry Allen "died" back in the late 80s super event crisis on infinite earths. Wally West (Kid Flash) took over as the Flash until last year, when he was apparently absorbed into the "speed force" (the current explanation to where the speeders get their speed) and now Barry's grandson Bart Allen is the current Flash.
He has appeared several times since his death, explained by his use of the cosmic treadmill that allowed him to travel through time, plus his spirit is supposedly alive in the speed force.
Bart Allen in the new series is supposedly wearing Barry's Flash suit.

Boy Bomber, if you haven't read comics for a while, I guess it would be a surprise to you that Cap America's sidekick, Bucky, who died back during WWII is back alive now, came back as a villian but has become a sort of Punisher-isque, named Winter Soldier.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bucks back?just shows ya dave,cap will be back.i sure miss reading comics,i'm 45 and still watch cartoons(but on sat nite with a couple of beers,mrs bomber thinks i'm nuts,maybe its the hotwheels i find that i still play with or my seamonkeys)did u check out the avengers movies 1&2?#2 has the black panther.also hear theres a captain america movie in the works

OP
OP
cryptodave

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I'm 30 and just got back into reading comics to be truthful. I loved them as a kid, Flash being my favorite. When I went into the military my mother sold all my comics (worth thousands, sold them all for $.25 each or 5 for $1.00 at a yard sell). Quit collecting until last year when they started advertising they might kill one of my other favorites, Ted Kord the Blue Beetle. Now I spend probably $30 a month. Its great escapism.
I also watch Adult Swim cartoons, like Futurama and Family Guy, and some of the 15 minute stuff like ATHF.

By the way, personally I'm afraid that they have killed off Steve Rodgers for good, and are going to make someone else Captain America. Maybe Bucky... They had a big event called Civil War recently where Cap was a suedo-bad guy and didn't agree with the government on making all people with powers register. At the end, Cap surrenders because he saw that the war was causing civilians to be hurt. He threw down his mask, and the Punisher picked it up....

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
cryptodave said:
I wonder if this is the right time to be killing off a symbol of patriotism, of American values, of the can-do attiutude.

Why not? The gov is doing it anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions