Heart Attack When Alone

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I ran across this post on another forum and thought it might be something to file away in your mind.

How to Survive a Heart Attack When Alone

I caught this article in an April 2002 Santa Clara Gold Club brochure and thought it so important, that it should be reprinted for others to see.
Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack, this article seemed to be in order. Without help, the person whose heart is beating properly and who begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds before losing consciousness. However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously.

A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest. A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds without letup until help arrives. or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again.

Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs, and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it regain normal rhythm. In this way, heart attack victims can get to a hospital.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post it could happen anytime. :-[

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Thanks warsaw. A nice piece of advise to keep in mind. We get so involved in MDing that once you turn 50, it's not a bad idea to let an MD (aka-doctor) do a little probing on an annual hunt. Here's hoping his detector doesn't sound off. ;)

Skillets

Mar 6, 2007
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard a story where a local guy was having a heart attack, and he downed a handful of aspirin and the doctor told him he saved his own life by doing that. Two very good tips.

Skillets

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great thread! Things like this can save lives, and I'm glad I know know.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The thing is that many of us think we are invincible ...including myself. I dont know how many times I have just headed out alone where no one knows where I am . Yes...I have my phone...but I also go to places that doesnt have cell reception. Over the past year I have been better about at least letting one person know when I am heading out.
I guess we all need to be better prepared .Having a hunting buddy is great...but if you do you better make sure they are capable of handling an emergency also...can you carry them out? Can they carry you? You should always exactly Know where you are so they can call in a helicopter to save time in a real emergency...

I dont want to live my life in fear.....I dont want to stop doing what I love because I "think" something might happen....But ....you do need to have a good emergency plan and make sure those with you are prepared too.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good advice. Most of us are not kids anymore and even a fall can knock us out. I read that cell phones should also be programed with ICE (In Case of Emergency) number. This can be someone to contact like a relative.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gypsyheart said:
The thing is that many of us think we are invincible ...including myself....

Since I am invincible I do not have to worry about such tragedies :-\. However, should I one day become vincible(is that a word?) that info will be very useful ;)

All kidding aside. It is interesting information. Some that I would not have thought of myself, but, which seems to make sense.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread