Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old private yards, especially fenced back yards..I usually find lots of obsolete coins fairly quickly and with very little effort..I like searching athletic fields also when hunting for rings and other jewelry.

Nat

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Wherever I find the most old coins ;D. I prefer places where I have exclusive permission to hunt, be it an old yard, an old church, whatever. That way, no one questions my right to be there.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Places that are pretty far out.....old homesteads that are completely grown over,cellarholes,old cabins along the river,ghosttowns .....I also like the old town halls that are out in the country...old fairgrounds
I do like to hit the older areas in town that are being bulldozed for new construction....any older part of town along the river

moonshine

Dec 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di/Pro, E-Trac
i take it as a challenge to find old spots that no one would ever think to detect. i detect spots that most people would never detect, steep hills, thick woods, etc, near old areas. cut throughs from neighborhoods to parks, hiding places, etc. the big open obvious feild in the middle of the park is the last place i detect. places that you can see from main roads are also too obvious. i try to think back in time and also think about what other detectorists might think, and try to avoid obvious areas.

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
Elementary schools!!!! They are easy - lots of areas to dig - tot lot, fields, basketball courts.
Always good for clad.

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
Hi Toby, good post! :) I try to hunt the oldest High Schools I can track down close by to maximize my detectin' time. Not usually too many really old coins there but that depends on a few factors. I have found the odd penny from the 20's on two of the HS turfs that I hunt regularily. None the less, they produce TONS of newish coins and plenty of sweet baubles. Many a teen has contributed to my Silver ring collection and that includes boys and girls rings, studs, etc. The other kool thing about HS's is that most of the coins and rings won't be much deeper than about four inches, at least in most of the HS's that I've hunted so far anyway. It works out that the less time spent diggin' (deep target) equals more coins located and retrieved, for me. 8) Pull tabs can be bothersome to some folks but I have pulled a number of coins up out of the same hole or an inch away from pulltabs before, so they don't scare me none. ;) Don't laugh. I've hunted places on purpose that others didn't hunt because they said there were just too many pulltabs and other junk there, and I did just fine, thank you very much! If it looks good, try it!

Highschools, as everyone here knows, hold a lot of kids with a lot of spending money in their pockets these days and being kids, they do lose a pile of change on the school grounds every year. That makes HS's a nice renewable resource for this ol' trapper. If you haven't given these coin-gold-mines a try yet, what in the world are you waiting for? ;D Maybe a special invitation? :D

O.K. then, I invite ya'll to hunt even one old, close to home High School this year, and post your results in here, so we can see if I'm blowin' smoke or steering ya'll towards a future fruitful treasure hunting spot, for anyone who likes quantity in their detectin' results! 8)

lb

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite hunting spot is the beaches in the summertime. Nearly always find something of value if only clad, it's hot and I can get into the water and cool off...also hunt along the shallows. Also some nice eye candy on busy days! :-* Monty

T

treasurejack

Remote and simi-remote locations, especially those near water. These days I'm into it as much for the adventure as the actual finds I might make. Peace & quiet, with lots of beautiful scenery and wildlife.

Jolly Jim

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Fisher 1280X
Old logging camps....Old scouting camps....Shallow water, just off shore from the beach....where no other man/woman has detected before!!! I'm new to this forum...nice to meet you! Am currently waiting for the snow to melt here in Michigan. Can't wait to get back at it!

OP
OP
Pulltab Parson

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2 feet

"DIDDO"

Northwest PA

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
I like old cellar holes.I find them by using old maps or spotting them while driving or hiking.
most of my jewelry finds come from swimming areas.old parks are cool,there are virgin or near
virgin sites here and there.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Schools are my first choice, but more and more of them are being fenced off. A sign of the times, I guess.

I also like athletic fields and parks. Normally look away from the hunted areas, such as the play areas. I will do them first and normally do not find much, then I concentrate on the grasy areas around buildings and parking areas. Grassy areas leading to the parking areas are good places to search. Lots of coins are dropped when the keys are pulled out of pockets and purses.

Old homes, when I can get permission.

Good post.

Happy Hunting 8)

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
I like the old homesteads, areas associated with early mining around Marquette co. 1850's to 1900, mine areas, RR,s, Charcoal kilns, foundry's and ghost towns....Thompy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread