Garrett Pro PinPointer vs. Treasure Products 580 Pinpointer ???

zurc

Feb 14, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett ProPointer, Treasure Products 580 PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to say I just got the Garrett's, haven't tried the TP one. Also whites has a new one out.
I guess it's the little differences because they all do basically the same thing. Compare what they do or don't do;
Like waterproof, distance to target, sound/vibrate, adjustable distance' etc.
I like that the Garrett's beeps faster closer it gets to the target, helps to locate it.

Maybe someone can talk about the TP.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like a waterproof pinpointer, but I have read a lot of good reviews on the Garrett PPP, siliconed. But what would you all choose between the two in the title?

I like that the TP is waterproof out of the box, but at the end of the day which is the better pinpointer?

I have both the Garrett Pro Pointer and the Vibraprobe 580. The Vibraprobe is the better of the two and most durable in IMO. The Garrett PP was dead right out of the box and wasn't that happy with it. The 580 is waterproof to 100 ft, more durable, no switches to worry about, and sensitive only at the tip, not along the shaft. Those that say the Garrett PP is better probably has never used the 580. The Garrett is more popular because it is about $30 cheaper and easier to carry than the 580. It also uses sound to determine where the target is whereas the 580 only uses vibration. I've had my Vibraprobe for about 3 years and not a hitch. You could try to waterproof the PP yourself but that could void the warranty if you get water damage. You hear many complaints regarding the Garrett. Others may disagree but to each his own. Hope this helps...

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I would like a waterproof pinpointer, but I have read a lot of good reviews on the Garrett PPP, siliconed. But what would you all choose between the two in the title?

I like that the TP is waterproof out of the box, but at the end of the day which is the better pinpointer?

I have both the Garrett Pro Pointer and the Vibraprobe 580. The Vibraprobe is the better of the two and most durable in IMO. The Garrett PP was dead right out of the box and wasn't that happy with it. The 580 is waterproof to 100 ft, more durable, no switches to worry about, and sensitive only at the tip, not along the shaft. Those that say the Garrett PP is better probably has never used the 580. The Garrett is more popular because it is about $30 cheaper and easier to carry than the 580. It also uses sound to determine where the target is whereas the 580 only uses vibration. I've had my Vibraprobe for about 3 years and not a hitch. You could try to waterproof the PP yourself but that could void the warranty if you get water damage. You hear many complaints regarding the Garrett. Others may disagree but to each his own. Hope this helps...

I have to agree with this. I use a variation of the 580, the vibratector which has a detection range of 6". I use it to search walls. Comparing the 580 to the pro is like comparing a peach to a lemon. The pro is the lemon!
Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can't speak for the others but I have two garrett pp's , and I sent in my first for service which was extremely rough handled
and was falsing. It was so worn that it was almost an inch shorter.
They sent me a brand new one-no charge. So customer service was excellent.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Frankn, can you provide a link to the vibratector. Also is the vibratector a PI or vlf? I have not owned the 580 but have owned a few pp. I wont go hunting without the pp. Its not always been a rosey romance, but having confidence in your tools is a must. I love my pp. Have not seen anything better out there yet.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Frankn, can you provide a link to the vibratector. Also is the vibratector a PI or vlf? I have not owned the 580 but have owned a few pp. I wont go hunting without the pp. Its not always been a rosey romance, but having confidence in your tools is a must. I love my pp. Have not seen anything better out there yet.

The Vibradetector is PI as well as the 580. You don't get much depth as with a regular detector but it is good in tight spots such as rocky areas where you can't swing a coil underwater. Tried mine last summer and it wasn't bad. HHing..

Last edited:

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Garrett PP, and I've used it many times in rivers and lake shores, fully submersed. All I did was wrap a ring of electric tape around the speaker vents. So far no problems, but it has only been a year.

OP
OP
zurc

zurc

Feb 14, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett ProPointer, Treasure Products 580 PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. Thank you all for the input and suggestions. Very helpful. I decided to go ahead and pick up the Treasures Products 580 as well as other accessories, from Riley's Treasure in Pompano Beach (Very nice people with awesome prices), but I am definitely going to order the Garrett ProPointer as well in the near future for dry hunts as this 580 is quite large and heavy.

Again, thank you all. I will update with my feedback on the unit.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to agree with this. I use a variation of the 580, the vibratector which has a detection range of 6". I use it to search walls. Comparing the 580 to the pro is like comparing a peach to a lemon. The pro is the lemon!
Frank...

Interesting Frank! I didn't know about this gizmo, so I went searching :) Threads on another site, and Googled the thing - can be had for around $146....

Also, I saw a Youtube video with a guy who had both the Garrett PP and the Minelab. Over and over, the Garrett couldn't find the target but the Minelab did....

I'm very pleased with my Garrett - but I certainly see alternatives....

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
(I like that the TP is waterproof out of the box, but at the end of the day which is the better pinpointer)
I have a Garrett Pro Pointer and love it.What a time saver!BUT-It is not waterproof.If you do waterproof
it as you say,with silicone,or plumber putty,etc.,you stand a good chance of voiding your warranty.Waterproofing
is very easy to do on the Garrett,but think about it first.The Garrett is sweet,but it has its faults.My opinion.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome. Thank you all for the input and suggestions. Very helpful. I decided to go ahead and pick up the Treasures Products 580 as well as other accessories, from Riley's Treasure in Pompano Beach (Very nice people with awesome prices), but I am definitely going to order the Garrett ProPointer as well in the near future for dry hunts as this 580 is quite large and heavy.

Again, thank you all. I will update with my feedback on the unit.

The 580 is large, but wouldn't say it is heavy. Actually, it is light. The shaft is much longer than the Garrett for getting down deeper into your hole. It also comes with a holster, like the Garrett. Hope you like it.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Newfihunter .. What kind of depth are you getting with your vibraprobe 580 … And i see they also have the vibratector like Frankn has ….. And i see they also have the vibraquatic ...

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Newfihunter .. What kind of depth are you getting with your vibraprobe 580 … And i see they also have the vibratector like Frankn has ….. And i see they also have the vibraquatic ...

I just did an actual measurement of a rosie silver dime and Washington Quarter with the 580. On the dime it was 1.5 inches and on the quarter it was 1.75 inches. The Garrett may be a little better on depth but not much. Hope this answers your question. . You will get more depth on the Vibra Tector. Great for using in water!

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok thanks … Here is the picture of the Vibraprob 580 and the Vibratector and the Vibraquatic………..The 580 has a 1 inch scan head ..The Quatic has a 2 inch scan head and the Tector has a 4 inch scan head..

Attachments

• th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    8.7 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One more thing. The length of the probe itself is 14 inches from the tip to the end of the handle. Just wanted to add that in case size is an issue.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Last Spring, with my brand new out of the box Pro-Pointer, I was tired of swinging, and sat down on some steps, just running over the ground beside me, I hit a wheat cent at a measured 3". Pretty impressed with that. Frank said above that his vibratector has a range of 6". On another site, another fellow wrote that he'd hit targets at 5". This is pretty credible information. At the price of $146, I may be looking for a back-up :)

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The Vibratector has a 4" head and detects to app. 6". it was designed for under water hunting. In fact Mel Fisher's team used them to hunt for the gold coins. I am a land hunter and use it primarily for wall searching in old buildings. A pin pointer really doesn't have enough range to use on walls reliable, and a detector pickes up to wide a scan for walls because the nails drive it crazy . On stone foundation walls, I just walk by it with my 2 Box. I guess it's live and learn in detecting. Frank...
coins-eagle.jpg
Picked this up at a yard sale

Last edited:
OP
OP
zurc

zurc

Feb 14, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well. On my first real hunt last night with my Fiance at Hollywood Beach, I was able to master pinpointing with my AT Pro, but when I did have to use the 580, it was awesome. I couldn't imagine hunting without it. It wasn't as heavy/bulky as imagined.

Considering this was my first real hunt, I basically dug everything to try and learn the machine / sounds and now I have a pretty good idea of what's what before digging it out. While we didn't find any gold or silver, we did a great job of cleaning the beach of bottle caps, sinkers, cans, etc.

We did find a few clad and my fiance found a 1941 nickel in pretty good shape (will post pictures of everything later tonight).

All in all. We had fun. I am happy with both the AT Pro, Ace 350 and the TP 580, but I am still going to get a Garrett ProPointer to use on dry hunts. I like having options and backups for everything so it will definitely be put to use :-)

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions... Now you guys got me putting the Vibratector on my wish list as well :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread