Buying Gold and silver

Smooth Blend

Nov 30, 2013
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari w/ 11"DD coil, 10"x12"SEF, 15"WOT coil, Garrett Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are you wanting to invest in gold and silver?

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy actual gold and silver --not paper. Many good sites are on the net to purchase from. Large Metro areas also have companies that sell. Research your area.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Search out a few places, look for how much over spot price they want…..
Junk silver (pre-65) 10, 25, 50 US coins are 90% silver and not bad to have part of your investment.

Greysquirrel

Greenie
Oct 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a couple of places I buy from one in NC so if you live there you pay tax the other is in PA same deal with tax. They both offer free shipping which is more than other brokers do.
Pinehurst Coins- Home NC This dealer will price match other dealers
Buy Silver Bars Online - Free Shipping | JM Bullion Pa
Both charge more for credit cards but will take checks or wire transfers.
Hope this helps you.
You can also buy from e-Bay but most of the time the price is higher than the brokers, if you do buy from ebay make sure the seller has a good feedback record and stay away from sellers from China and other eastern countries. I have found some good deals on ebay but they are few and far between, buyers seem to pay more than the silver is going for from dealers. You will be paying above spot price for you bars or coins but thats the way it is you can't buy from the large wholesalers or mints.
Also don't buy the so called art bars that have special marking unless you want to give a bar to a friend that has a hobby which the bar represents. Remember silver is silver and if you are buying for investments it does not matter what it looks like it will be only what the silver is worth no matter what you pay for it.

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't consider gold and silver investments; they don't pay short term dividends nor interest. I'm severely underwater with my purchases in the last few years ($1750 gold/$35 silver). It's a long-term pie-in-the-sky reason that Im even still stacking.

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite place to buy is online, not the big places like APMEX or provident (I'll buy from places like this every once in awhile) but from individuals on forums and youtube, I have a couple great places/channels I could recommend first would be bullionstacker.com (GREAT buy sell trade area there) and the youtube channel stackerville (been slowing down but the idea is people post what they have to sell/trade or what they want to buy and people PM each other to work out the details. I get many great deals especially on bullion stacker,

Last edited:

mope540

Jun 29, 2011
Yonder
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, X1 probe, SEF 8X6 coil.

AT Gold, 5X8 coil, Garrett PP

Equinox 800, 6" coil

Oldest coin to date...1829 large cent
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also don't buy the so called art bars that have special marking unless you want to give a bar to a friend that has a hobby which the bar represents. Remember silver is silver and if you are buying for investments it does not matter what it looks like it will be only what the silver is worth no matter what you pay for it.
just a question... why can't gold "art bars" be treated the same as silver bars??...gold is gold, right?? Is it a resale thing??

I will be purchasing Krugerrands and Maple Leafs but have considered art bars also.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
just a question... why can't gold "art bars" be treated the same as silver bars??...gold is gold, right?? Is it a resale thing??

I will be purchasing Krugerrands and Maple Leafs but have considered art bars also.
Well, because "silver is silver", it's has to be because that type of art bar is purchased with premium cost attached.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread