Batteries

What brand works best for you?

• Total voters

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have 2 rechargeable packs for my explorer and always keep a few dozen copper tops in the trunk, the explorer literally eats a set of batteries every 6-8 hours..which is nuts!!..my antique fisher..goes forever on a set it seems, but then again, zero bells and whistles.

Mike

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
What did the rayovacs do to the mag lights?? Did they leak and wreck inside the battery shaft?

They were so corroded from leakage they were impossible to remove. Yes they were in there 2 years, but the coppertops have held up that long easily. I think the battery evolution is increasing constantly due to the electric car research in the battery field. Frank...
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

OP
OP
F

forgetaboudit

Feb 15, 2014
Milwaukee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! With all the battery choices out there, the bunny is beating it's drum way into the lead!

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually use the Ray O Vac Alkalines that are often the best buy at the local big box stores - I do mean the top of the line alkaline, not heavy duty or other. I've had good luck with them and my second choice are energizers.

I agree 100% with you on the Ray O Vacs. I tried rechargables, but they didn't last nearly as long in my MXT and Minelab as the Ray O Vac alkalines. I've never had one leak, but I have had some problems with Duracel. They're less expensive, but not by much, and seem to last at least as long for me.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Wow! With all the battery choices out there, the bunny is beating it's drum way into the lead!
Yea advertising is good at brain washing. The only way they could sell more of them would be to print a big "G" on them. LOL People perceive some products to be the best because of the advertisement. If you will notice a really good product doesn't really have to advertise as much, or as dramatically. Another thing is that people that have fallen for the ads some times are hard pressed to admit that the product didn't live up to there expectations. Just human nature I guess. Frank...
STILL LIFE-2002-1.jpg

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Ray o vacs are equal to energizer or duracell only cheaper! the lithium are the best but expensive.Ive used many different rechargables but all seem to only give me around half the power,then I have to change them,pretty irritating!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
The Lithium, in rechargeable form, will be tops when the price comes down. Hay they make more selling a lot of throwaways . Consider this, the US has the largest supply of lithium in the ground , in the world. Frank... Elvis and Blues.jpg

RAINMAKER63

Nov 18, 2013
Brainerd MN
Detector(s) used
TEKnetics 8000 Coin Computer(no its not an Omega) and Garrett Pro Pointer, AT Pro, Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
X2 On the Sanyo Enelops, but I don't think they make 9 volts.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I think the Ray o vacs are equal to energizer or duracell only cheaper! the lithium are the best but expensive.Ive used many different rechargables but all seem to only give me around half the power,then I have to change them,pretty irritating!

Equal in what way?
Sure they all have the same voltage, last about the same length of time, but what also counts is there construction. I want a battery or cell that is dated and will not leak before that date. I leave the coppertops in my detectors till the energy is all used up. This might be months during the winter. It's one less thing to worry about.
I buy my batteries at BJ's, in bulk when they are on sale. They have at least 3 years storage time on the date.
Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There a guy who did a test on different batterys and some drain slower than others. He felt rechargables were better because of the slower drain. They are not as hot as a regular batter too. So you dont have to make adjustments to your detector as often. Now my propointer gets a yellow everyready, its what it came with, and I have had trouble using other 9 volts. I have never ran a set of batterys dead in the F75 as a set of batterys are reported to last 70 hours. Thats a lot of swing time. I recharge once a week.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equal in what way?
Sure they all have the same voltage, last about the same length of time, but what also counts is there construction. I want a battery or cell that is dated and will not leak before that date. I leave the coppertops in my detectors till the energy is all used up. This might be months during the winter. It's one less thing to worry about.
I buy my batteries at BJ's, in bulk when they are on sale. They have at least 3 years storage time on the date.
Frank...
View attachment 952562
I've never had any battery leak on me before except energizer. I don't think that the date is accurate, maybe close,as a estimate. For instance,I just got a pinpointer for xmas.It needed a 9-volt.I had a unopened energizer battery in the drawer,the date said mar2015.I tried it,almost dead.I went out and bought a ROV,works great now.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
OK you guys, here's the story.
Detectors have built in voltage regulators. Your detector will work until the battery drops below a certain voltage. At this point it will cut off. The voltage is governed by the two chemicals in the battery. Now different detectors use different amounts of current (ampage) . The battery doesn't controll the flow of current, the detector does.
The pro pointer uses more current than the HF, so batteries will last longer in the HF. The Minelab uses more current than the Whites, so batteries will last longer in the whites. NOTE: This info. is based on observation in the field, not tests.
Now about the chargeable battery. It all depends on the chemistry, that is how long the charge stays in a battery. The leader by far are the Lithium combination batteries. There are at least 3 that I have heard about, the Lio being the leader so far. My electric drill uses Lio and it will hold a charge for over 6 months. It also charges in a fraction of the time required for the old lead acid battery. I am not a battery expert, but I did spend 30+ years in electronics. Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use rechargeable Energizer AA in my AT PRO...they work great...I use Duracell coppertop in my CZ21 and the manual says 35 to 55 hours...Ive ran a few sets to 50 hours and they were still working fine...I would use 9v rechargeables but the battery compartment is a pain to get back on the CZ21...the AT pro is very fast and easy to change batteries.

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
I usually use the Ray O Vac Alkalines that are often the best buy at the local big box stores - I do mean the top of the line alkaline, not heavy duty or other. I've had good luck with them and my second choice are energizers.

I'm not really particular when it comes to alkaline AA batteries, but I have used Ray-O-Vac batteries for a long time without any problems. I can usually can pick up a 48 pack @ Home Depot for $15.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions