Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your owners manual should state how many hours it gets on a set of batteries.
I use energizer, my M6 gets 30 hours from a set, that was one of the considerations in buying it.
If you go through a lot if batteries you may want to get a couple of sets of rechargeable.

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My experience rechargeable's save money in long term. I would buy four 9 volt rechargeable's so an extra set is ready.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I switched to rechargeable batteries.They are pricey but i feel they will save you money in the long run.

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
while on the subject...I have bought several sets of rechargables ranging from 2400 to 2650 mah and i have charged and recharged several times to break them in......my question is,i change my batteries when half gone,but i put a set of fresh charged batteries in my at pro and they only registered halfway on my battery indicator....I didnt try them because not sure they would b any good....any one else experiance this....thanx barry

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I leave my nmih's charging past full. Some chargers don't properly register the charge level.

OP
OP
F

forgetaboudit

Feb 15, 2014
Milwaukee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I read in my manual that I need to use Alkaline batteries only. I'm not sure exactly what that means... Are NiMh batteries alkaline? Are Li-Ion alkaline?

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Fisher F2 manual does say that you are supposed to use alkaline batteries only. NiMh and Li-Ion batteries are not alkaline batteries. However, if you want to use rechargeable batteries, call Fisher customer service at 1-800-685-5050 and ask them. They will know better than anyone if it is OK to use rechargeables in your F2.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

forgetaboudit

Feb 15, 2014
Milwaukee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Fisher F2 annual does say that you are supposed to use alkaline batteries only. NiMh and Li-Ion batteries are not alkaline batteries. However, if you want to use rechargeable batteries, call Fisher customer service at 1-800-685-5050 and ask them. They will know better than anyone if it is OK to use rechargeables in your F2.
Much thanks!!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
OK, here's your info.
-Alkaline batteries are regular chemistry batteries with Alka. added to extend there life.
-NiMh work well if used right after charge. There charge 'bleeds' off.
-Nicklecadiam batteries have a memory problem. You have to fully discharge them before you charge them. They are not used much any more.
-Li Ion along with other variations like Li Pol are the best. They will hold a full charge for months and have a high density capacity.

I use the copper tops. They are dated and will last for years when stored. I buy them in bulk at BJs

It looks like a lot of you have been influenced by the bunny! lol Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a lot of you have been influenced by the bunny! lol Frank...

Actually, I've been more influenced by the fact that the Energizers seem to last longer in the detectors I use. I used to buy Duracell almost exclusively. But when I forgot extra batteries and had to buy on the run, all they had were Energizers. They lasted longer than the copper topped ones. So I switched. Of course I don't get out in cold weather, so I don't know how they would work for folks up north.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Actually, I am mostly a cache hunter My 2 Box Hays uses one 9v in the transmitter and one 9v in the receiver. I always put in new batteries at the start of a cache hunt. I might spend several days to several weeks at a location. I have never had to replace a battery on location. Both transmitter and receiver have volt meters built in. I go thru 1 or 2 boxes of 9vs a year, but my Vibratector and pinpointers also use 9v batteries.
The copper tops are constantly being improved. The latest regular unit has a silver band around it and there is what they call an Ultra unit. All are dated and have a self life of several years. I don't even bother to take them out of the detectors in the off season. Never had a corrosion problem with them.
Just my opinion based on my experience. Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

bikermike

Jul 14, 2012
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, 6.5x9 coil, 4.5 sniper coil, 5x8DD coil, Garrett AT Gold, Centec pinpointer, Garrett pro pointer, Ames digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use Tenergy Ni-MH low self discharge rechargeable. They are rated 1.2v but they charge to 1.46v. I haven't run them completely down yet. I always recharge when they get to 1.0v I have had them for over a year now without incident.

Mike

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't you wish that you could rig up a Solar Panel and run the wires to the batteries to keep them charged? You could carry the Solar Panel on your' back, hey at least it would keep the sun off part of it! LOL!!

Frank

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a panel but only goes up to 6 volts

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Don't you wish that you could rig up a Solar Panel and run the wires to the batteries to keep them charged? You could carry the Solar Panel on your' back, hey at least it would keep the sun off part of it! LOL!!

Frank

Well, there is a company that has a backpack with a flexible solar panel on the back flat that charges as you go so to speak. Don't remember where I saw it, possibly Popular Mechanics. I just carry a spare set of batteries.
Frank...
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually use the Ray O Vac Alkalines that are often the best buy at the local big box stores - I do mean the top of the line alkaline, not heavy duty or other. I've had good luck with them and my second choice are energizers.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I usually use the Ray O Vac Alkalines that are often the best buy at the local big box stores - I do mean the top of the line alkaline, not heavy duty or other. I've had good luck with them and my second choice are energizers.

Ray O VAC batts cost me a couple of my Mag lights a couple of years back. Been using the coppertops ever since. You can leave them in for years with no problem. They were just improved even more. The new version has a silver bar around it, plus they have a new Ultra version. The company is very progressive.I buy them by the box at BJ's. Frank...
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

OP
OP
F

forgetaboudit

Feb 15, 2014
Milwaukee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray O VAC batts cost me a couple of my Mag lights a couple of years back. Been using the coppertops ever since. You can leave them in for years with no problem. They were just improved even more. The new version has a silver bar around it, plus they have a new Ultra version. The company is very progressive.I buy them by the box at BJ's. Frank...
View attachment 948797

What did the rayovacs do to the mag lights?? Did they leak and wreck inside the battery shaft?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions