At what point would you discriminate out pennies?

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a penny is better than a pull tab or tin foil or tin can or..well you get the point and remember if it's head up its lucky

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think I would ever disc out pennies. For me, its all part of the hunt! Besides I like pennies ;D

duggr

May 4, 2006
Fort Madison Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would only discriminate that high If I was in a hurry with little time and wanted
to see if there was Silver there. If I found silver I would come back later
when I had more time to work it Hard on Low Iron discriminate only. I do this
in areas that I spot by chance and give it a quick go over. I usually return and
hunt it on low disc. if I find anything or not just to make shure.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
when hunting a newer park I will disc zinc pennys.zinc pennys on my machine hit below copper penny,any indian head pennys will be disc out too.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I never discriminate out the pennies..A penny is a penny. It is one less that I have to go work for.

swingman

Feb 7, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab (2), Garrett (2), Whites (2)
With only one machine I have, can I disc. out ZINC pennies - the older Minelab Sovereign, with a Sunray meter (and I do that only when they're shallow, and when the site is NOT yielding old stuff). Indians read ~172, copper/bronze Lincolns ~180, 'zincs' at ~176.
Other machines, I dig all penny signals - I can't tell the difference among Lincolns.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Depends on the area you are hunting in. If there is a chance you will be passing up wheaties or indian heads, dig all the pennies. If you are in an area that you KNOW will just be zinc cents, pass them up.

I sometimes pass up the zinc cents and sometimes I dig them. I have found some interesting foreign cents, copper, that I would not have found if I had passed them up. Tough decision to make, but it depends on the area.

Yes, I agree, they do add up. Better to have a pocket full of pennies then nothing. We all have days like that.

Happy Hunting ;D

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Most say never... but if you DO want to... why not?

I have hunted in areas where I have zero'd out the zinks... and I'll do it again sometime. My BHs drop zinks and get the others...

It kind of freaks me out that I'm missing something but I do keep checking the disc... and it works.

Call me kooky.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only have a twist potentiometer style descrimination adjustment, so foe me to blank out pennies I'd only have pure silver left to register. Be lots of days it was mighty quiet if I did that.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
There have been days when I found 10 pennies before I found a dime so they do add up. On the DeLeon, zincs register around 78 whereas copper cents and above all register at 95. So I can choose whether or not to dig, however I prefer to dig anyway.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug quite a few larger gold rings that read as Penny. So I would never count them out. Remember we aren't doing this for the profit, or are we?

OP
OP
R

Ranger Paul

Profit? What's that? LOL Lets see....

Batteries = $2.00
Gas = $5.60
The chance of finding a nice little treasure for the wifey.......PRICELESS!

Ranger Paul

T

treasurejack

I use very little disc, if at all, and I usually dig most everything. Not all good finds are silver & gold.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I have no choice but to disc out the zinc pennies on my 250, because not doing so will have be digging tons of caps. The other penny notch which also brings in the wheats I do not disc. It could be a dime and I also like to see my clad penny pile grow. They do add up.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Never as sometimes it can be masking a good target that is much deeper and you will only find out once you remove it and check the hole again. After all, digging holes is what it is all about - right!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread