Huge Tip on HOTSPOT For People Living in Eastern PA and Western NJ

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK... I grew up in Easton, PA and I know an awesome site to find things. It's called Island Park and it closed around the year 1910. In 1972 the river washed away any remains of the park. The small island is completely uninhabited.

You can only get to the Island by a small boat. You have to cross about 40 feet of water. I used to fish and camp on that island as a kid. Nobody ever goes on there in fact you could probably camp there for two weeks and not see a single person. There is a lagoon in the middle of the island full of huge bass, crappie, muskie, and other fish.

The park had a roller coaster, rides, games, and a lot of coins being exchanged.

Anyway, it is a place I always thought would be awesome for metal detecting. The park was very popular in its day. Here is the info on it. If anybody goes there and finds anything awesome keeping me filled in would be cool. I live in Texas now so I doubt I will ever get there in my life.

Island Park - Easton, PA

Here is a picture of a family reunion on Island Park. i1909r-1.jpg

A picture of the park. island-easton01.jpg

I am sure others have detected this place but I am also sure there is probably plenty to go around.

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP ME INFORMED PLEASE :) If I can't do it myself I will live vacariously though others.

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for sharing. Put this in the Pennsylvania forum.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice tip, but somebody must own it, any clue about that?? Or is it remote enough that nobody cares?? Looks like a possible dream place to hunt if the flood didn't remove most of the topsoil. Man, the thought of the older silver coins and the jewelry drops that must have happened there makes me drool!!

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice tip, but somebody must own it, any clue about that?? Or is it remote enough that nobody cares?? Looks like a possible dream place to hunt if the flood didn't remove most of the topsoil. Man, the thought of the older silver coins and the jewelry drops that must have happened there makes me drool!!

It is now part of Hugh Moore Park but there are no roads going to it or anything but trees and woods. It's not very remote, but yet it is. When you are on it you feel like you are miles away from anything. From experience I'm sure you will not have any problems. Find it on Google earth and you will see what I am talking about. Here is the GPS. 40°39'15.41"N 75°15'10.91"W

NOTICE THE LAGOON THAT RUNS HALF THE LENGTH OF THE ISLAND. You take your canoe or rowboat into the lagoon, there is a small waterway to get in with your boat right around here 40°39'24.21"N 75°14'52.47"W

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COOL! I just noticed that the old trolly line that took people from the mainland to the island still is there... That steel cable is over 100 years old.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just looked at google maps and it appears that Hugh Moore park is a national park. That would sadly make it off limits to detecting or removing any relics.

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just looked at google maps and it appears that Hugh Moore park is a national park. That would sadly make it off limits to detecting or removing any relics.

I THINK only the Canal Museum is part of the National Parks and Hugh Moore Park is actually locally Easton owned.

Hugh Moore Park[edit]Hugh Moore Park is a City of Easton park nestled between the Lehigh River, and the Lehigh Canal. It covers 520 acres (2.1 km2), including part of the Lehigh river and section 8 of the Lehigh Canal. The area now known as Hugh Moore Park was originally an industrial park, built due to the large amount of anthracite coal being brought down the Lehigh Canal from present day Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania

The park was purchased by the City of Easton in 1962, using money donated by Hugh Moore. This sparked the formation of the Pennsylvania Canal Society in 1966, and eventually led to the creation of the National Canal Museum. Through the course of several master plans for the part, improvements to the park and its facilities have continually enhanced visitor experience. These improvements include a bike/hiking trail, boat launch, pavilions, as well as preservation of industrial ruins and three locks, including the only working lift lock in Pennsylvania and New Jersey

The National Canal Museum is responsible for maintaining and interpreting the historic structures and sites within the 260 acres (1.1 km2) that comprise Hugh Moore Park (ignoring water surface), a National Register Historic District. These include Section 8 of the Lehigh Canal and its three operating locks, a locktender’s house, ruins from three 19th-century industrial areas, and the Change Bridge, one of the first iron cable suspension bridges constructed in America.

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would definitely do some research rather than get in any trouble.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info, I'll have to investigate the next time I get over there. The google map seems to show the National Park symbol on both islands.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

gunsil, whether or not this is the case (ie.: no matter whose entity/boundries/technicalities you can find), I'm betting that ..... since it's no secret to the history books, that it's long-since been hit and hunted. I mean, look at what aus-tex-dude says: "When you are on it you feel like you are miles away from anything". If it's that remote and desolate, then you can bet someone's hit it, or is hitting it right now as we speak.

amedellin

Mar 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry everyone.....but indeed it has been hunted/hit. I am from Easton and back in the 80's my friend's Dad went there almost every weekend for two years. Not a secret. I know because my friend and I fished on the boat while his Dad searched. He was a Vietnam vet and very much at home in the jungle which will make sense when I explain the island conditions. I know of some others who have tried going on the island and had ankle deep mud, poison ivy everywhere and covered with ticks. They weren't hunting....just exploring and It is mostly swamps.... Due to constant flooding of the island....only access is with a boat that will get stuck for sure (swamp -bottom out with boat before dry land) so be ready to get wet. My Buddy's dad walked over at waist deep. Lilly pads and snake infested. I also know that game com. has been cracking down with trespassing there in the last few years. Fishing friends of mine mention it because I said I wanted to try to hunt it last year. A buddy who was fishing in a boat had to answer nature's calling and went to the island. Big mistake....swampy, feet sunk everywhere he walk .....and to add insult....was immediately spotted and given the business before he did his business. (his words not mine). But the officer told him that they have had a lot of metal detector enthusiasts taking from the property (Illegal) and some needing rescue from the swamp which has kicked security into a higher level there. Not to mention they will issue fines/arrest. What I'm told and could see from a boat last year.....Once you are on the island it's so thick with trees, brush etc that you need a machete .....no one could see you....whomever wrote that is right that "you won't be seen" once on the inner part of the island...but the only access is by boat and unless you can somehow drag the boat up on land and hide it (doubtful) they will spot you. But you risk a fine/arrest because it is owned by Hugh Moore Prk/historical society. Taking things from them is like dealing with the mob.
I asked around some more since my balloon was busted thinking not many knew of this island.... I know now it has in fact been hunted ...a lot!
This year I am trying the banks of the Delaware when the snow clears.....Since the harsh ice we had this year ( Delaware was solid) a lot of carving of the banks has been happening. Last time they had ice like that was in 94 during and someone found French/indian war relics. I figured I'd share that tip since I felt like the island would have been worth it at one time. And lets face it....the Delaware banks are so vast that there is plenty of good searching to go around.
I just say use extreme caution if you venture to that island.....but advising/warning not to. Plenty more places to hunt in Easton that won't get you jammed up.

amedellin

Mar 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't say impossible....just repeating what I know or have been told. Feel free to take your chances.....

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did anyone ever bother trying this place?

I have been on this island and it's not as bad as described. There is a gut in the middle loaded with huge perch and bass. You can actually canoe into the gut from the outside there is a little inlet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread