Metal Detecting

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it isn't known to others, how would we know? LOL Just messing with you. I have never heard of any treasure tale associated with Dimmit. However that doesn't mean that there isn't one or that he did not leave a cache behind somewhere. You might try looking in the book named "Dig Here" by Thomas Penfield. That would be as good a starting point as any.

OP
OP
G

Guadtx22

Jan 30, 2014
Victoria Tx
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya I know that was worded wrong. Thanks for the read ThTx. I know he had a trading post near Victoria on the Guadalupe river and I found quite a few bricks in an area close to the river on his original land. Big Anaquas there also. Haven't found anything there but 1900s bullets. I'll keep plugging away.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep us posted on what happens. I am always interested in tales about Texas (and Oklahoma and New Mexico).

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seemingly, every treasure hunter would like to think there are literally thousands of buried treasures waiting to be found. The more well known the character is, the bigger the treasure and the more stories there are. The truth is a bit uglier.

A good example is Billy the Kid. He's famous here in New Mexico, as well as a few more states. Stories abound about his buried treasure trove worth millions. How many millions depends on which source you cite. The truth is, Billy the Kid was a womanizer, a heavy drinker, a gambler, and a spendthrift! If he had any money at all when Pat Garrett shot him in the back, it was given to the undertaker. The $500 reward on his head was never paid out, because Pat, a sheriff, did the killing.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Check The Texas Historical Association- The Handbook of Texas. Pretty good BIO of Dimmitt and a nice article of Dimmitt's Landing. Good hunting...

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He died in captivity by an self administered overdose of morphine.

OP
OP
G

Guadtx22

Jan 30, 2014
Victoria Tx
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. He was an very interesting fellow to say the least. I guess I'll keep sifting through articles and books to what else I can discover. I know the library in Austin has a manuscript on him but I haven't gotten there to view it.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The truth is, Billy the Kid was a womanizer, a heavy drinker, a gambler, and a spendthrift! If he had any money at all when Pat Garrett shot him in the back, it was given to the undertaker. The $500 reward on his head was never paid out, because Pat, a sheriff, did the killing.

Let me guess, "In Ft. Summer, New Mexico in 1881."

Quit spreading this malarkey, or "I'll make you famous!"

EVERYONE knows that "Billy the Kid"

-AKA-

- "Kid Antrim"
- "William Bonney"
- "Ollie 'Brushy Bill' Roberts"
- "William/Henry McCarty"
- Etc...

Died in Hico, TX on the 27th day of December, 1950!!!

I mean seriously, I'VE SEEN HIS GRAVE THERE!
Haha!

P.S. - P.F. Garrett and Bob Ford would have been "friends" on Facebook, I'd bet. Rat Bastids!

Now, whether or not John Peters Ringo was murdered or committed suicide, THAT'S a real mystery!

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Among everything else "Texas" in my home
library - I've got a pretty comprehensive collection of Dimmitt-themed manuscript copies, books, articles, and even a couple of collegiate thesis papers from various university collections and/or state archives...

99.9% of the Phillip Dimmitt information is geared towards "makeshift" census records, his charter grants, and his political role during the formation of the R.O.T.

If I may suggest, perhaps you should slightly divert your interest of the Victoria County area forward a few decades?

Perhaps Civil War Era?

If you like treasure tales, and are looking for a good hunt...

In early December 1861, as the Federal blockade was closing in on the Texas coast, John B. Magruder ordered that the Aransas Pass Lighthouse lense be dismantled and hidden to prevent Union advancement thru the ship channel during nightfall. The lens was, in fact, smuggled out and buried within the present day confines of Victoria County. It has never been found.

For the record, it was a fourth order lens... Not exactly small - I did the math and it's about 2.5' tall... With plenty of iron and brass to hold the individual panes.

(NOTE: The fresnel lens was originally believed to be buried "nearby" in the marsh, but I WILL ASSURE YOU that if you do your research thoroughly there is a diary excerpt on microfilm that confirms the lens was transported further inland!)

And the lighthouse itself?

December 1862, the lighthouse was ordered to be "primed and set"... Which it was (VERY poorly!)

It is now privately owned by the family of Charles Butt, the H-E-B kingpin.

A near-identical situation also occurred with the light at Port O'Connor... However this lens was recovered shortly after the war and is now on display in Calhoun County.

In case you were wondering...This is what a Victorian-era fresnel lens looks like (Pictured is the Matagorda lens):

Attachments

• image-2476411936.png
    image-2476411936.png
    146.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Guadtx22

Jan 30, 2014
Victoria Tx
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tejaas, thanks for that info on Dimmitt. Haven't been back out there to look around lately, possibly soon. Still thinking something was there, although $20 million question is what.
Fascinating read about Magruder. I had read some on him but it appears he changed the scenery of his area quite a bit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread