luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First of all, there has to be treasure hidden there. Just because the home is older doesn't guarantee that. That said, search attics, crawl spaces, behind door and window moldings, along foundations and so forth. Any place something might be hidden should be checked.
luvsdux

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Thx for the tip I did find 2 years ago a Great Depression hoard but I would think there would be somthing in a home anywhere else to look would they ever have a false door anywhere

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The only thing you have to do is to put yourself in the place of the person hiding the goodies.Where would you put something of value where you wouldnt want it to be found.

mope540

Jun 29, 2011
Yonder
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, X1 probe, SEF 8X6 coil.

AT Gold, 5X8 coil, Garrett PP

Equinox 800, 6" coil

Oldest coin to date...1829 large cent
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if the interior doors are the solid originals, run your fingers along the tops of them to see if any holes were bored to stash rolled up money, jewels, coins, etc.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you've peaked our curiosity - If you feel comfortable relating more about your find - in general - jar of coins - silver ?
Check any stair step that may have a hidey hole under it - obviously basements and attics - crawl spaces . Outside , clearly
the base of any large trees - around large rocks , or stone walls , any landmark that could be seen from a window in the house.
Sounds like fun to me !

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Where would someomne hid something in a 1800's home

Thx for the wonderfull ideas

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for any nails stuck in lower limbs of trees where a plum bob would hang. Signs of where a chicken coup would be. Also remember even a quarter back then was a lot of money.

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You all forgot the outhouse! I don't dig old outhouse sites, but a couple of friends do. Besides the bottles they always find, they've found what might be described as a small strong box. The coinage more than paid them for their labor.

JUNKER

Apr 7, 2012
SW FL,Copper Hill VA,Temple ME
Detector(s) used
XLT GrandmastercxIII Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the walls sometimes in floor boards if the door locks are the big ones they put stuff in them was there a out house around the well and in the cellar check walls could be anywhere don't know where you are but if there are stone walls check them in the house check for anything loose or false walls in cabinets furniture get that pin pointer out and metal detector HH but don't dig any body's up in the basement

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget any mature trees, sounds crazy I know, but I know of a guy who decided to run his metal detector around the trunk of a tree and found a stash of silver dimes in a can inside the trunk. The old tree over time grew over the hole and sealed the can inside. Something to think about.

Paul

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
check under the mattress.. that's all I got

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
try in the bathroom behind the medicine cabinet

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there a summer kitchen? Stone foundations around these are a prime spot. Heavy use for over 1/2 the time each year.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i live in a home built in 1896 … And it would be a mess to check in the walls … Seeing that they are all plaster .. No dry wall...

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a spot in a house once, there were double windows at the kitchen sink, and the trim piece between them was just wedged in place. A nice hiding spot behind it, but nothing there.

Same house had a built in book case, and the face trim under the bottom shelf was not nailed, nice area behind, but empty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread