Underground creek?

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at a map (in terrain view) where the straight road and creek beside it, went around an elevation (large mound). The mound was about 150ft high and about 250 to 300ft wide. Then the road and creek straightened out...more or less.
But when I was looking at a different map, and I trust both mapping sources, or I wouldn't be using them.
Everything was exactly the same, but in the second map, the creek went THROUGH the mound?
Weird huh, through and also around? And it wasn't like a dirt mound. More like a gigantic rock with overburden.
Should I believe my trusted map? And if I follow the underground creek, will I meet a Mad Hatter!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know the answer to that one. Consult a third map? Or maybe you just discovered an NSA hideout!

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your right Msbeepbeep, it must be the map. But it was so obvious, one would think that the map maker would fix it. I'll go back and see if I can find it again (I forgot to bookmark it).

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This must be out in a rural area? In my area creeks go under ground all the time.. now you seem now you don't.. Of course these are man made under ground areas so roads can be built over the creeks.

For instance check out Naylors Run this is a local creek you can see it entering and leaving the park and it goes under ground more than a few times if you follow it..
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Nayl...+upper+darby&t=h&gl=us&hnear=Naylors+Run&z=16

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here we call the area that creeks are underground...........................................................Bridges. :occasion14:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well here they have houses built on some of those bridges ;-)

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feedback gang!!
Airscapes could be right. My friend at work today said he thinks the creek was straight until a avalanche buried part of it, and then they built a road after that. But I said sort of the same thing airscapes said. What if the years of water flow snuck through it's old channel and made a little hole in that big mound. A tiny underground creek.
The high water will be here soon, I'm definitely going to check it out.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If in a rural hilly or mountain area they probly rerouted the creek off the base so they could put the road there. We live in a town that buried the creek that runs through here. They did it back in 1830 and haven't had a bit of problems with it falling in. I've even seen YouTube videos of sewer fishing people catching eatin size fish.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes there are undergound creeks all over. we had one Bust through Recently during Flooding. almost took out a playground.

Funny thing I was pulling coins out of that spot only days before

337985_2078078388632_1145164383_32042821_1954136374_o.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot for the pic's Jeff, you give me hope that it could actually exist. It would be awesome to stick one of those plumbers camera's in there, and scope it out.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot for the pic's Jeff, you give me hope that it could actually exist. It would be awesome to stick one of those plumbers camera's in there, and scope it out.

If you do post pics please, we'd like to see too!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feedback gang!!
Airscapes could be right. My friend at work today said he thinks the creek was straight until a avalanche buried part of it, and then they built a road after that. But I said sort of the same thing airscapes said. What if the years of water flow snuck through it's old channel and made a little hole in that big mound. A tiny underground creek.
The high water will be here soon, I'm definitely going to check it out.
Water will find the path of least resistance, so the possibility it found itself a new channel is highly probable and hopefully profitable also.Good luck and happy hunting.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
My house is a bit different. My spring enters my spring house thru a crack in the bed rock which is about 2' down. It then flows thru a concrete base pool which use to be used to cool milk cans. It next flows back underground thru golf ball size rocks and out the other side of the house to form a stream. On the maps It shows as a house with a stream starting there. Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions