All Treasure Hunting

idigdirt

Mar 15, 2006
Epworth, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Compass xp-pro
Primary Interest:
Other
So many caches that are found are found accidentaly. Imagine the percentages if you applied research, logic and perseverance!

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posted many times yesterday ---- While the story sound very interesting, IMO there are some questions , the dealer is really marketing the coins, they even show a Hoard /find name on the slabs ------ Which would kick up the value.
SO for the last time here are my opinions and questions
1 - I believe these are someones collection , Makes no sense for all to be so rare , also most are SF , but there are Dahlonega gold coins in the Mix, If I am not mistaken Dahlonega closed before the civil war

2 - How long would it take a CAN to rust through ?

3 - If I found anything of that value of course I would say I found it on my property , Would not you?

4 - What is the history of the home and property

Inquiring minds need to know

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand the greatest gold coin hoard found (land - USA) was right by me here in Tennessee around Jackson by a road construction crew. Maybe there's others also...? I'll have you all know I now have my wife, son and grandkids all out digging up the front lawn with flashlights. I'd help but I'm busy telling you all and finishing this beer. I have lots of shovels.... low on beer though.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! Limitool I can just picture that! Lol!
There is no doubt that caches exist, it's the finding them that's the hard part! But looks like you've got that covered! Lol!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember back in the early 1960's, without doing a Google search on it, when I lived either at Lake Tahoe, or in Reno, there was some road construction on the Pyramid Lake Reservation near Wadsworth, Nevada. Some kids were playing around a cottonwood tree, and where the road had cut into the roots they discovered thousands of dollars face value in gold coins. The law kept them for a certain amount of time, and if my memory is correct, the coins were returned to the finders. I heard about this on the Reno news, don't know if it went any further than that though. Now I'm going to have to see if I can do a search and find the story. If anyone knows how to do a search please do, and report it here, because I'm not very good at it.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol! Limitool I can just picture that! Lol!
There is no doubt that caches exist, it's the finding them that's the hard part! But looks like you've got that covered! Lol!

UPDATE: Wife, son and grandkids dug till daylight. No luck so I called them in for breakfast (wife made). After eating back to digging... I got to go to town to get more batteries (maybe some beer). I might help when I get back... my arm hurts. Stay tuned for major possible breakthrough!

But all jokes aside.... I couldn't imagine coming across something like that myself. Hell... my wife, son and grandkids are gone!!!!!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that hole they dug is 6ft deep 7ft long and 3ft wide,I don't think I'd be there when they get back! Lol!

Can you imagine a TH'er finding that! There would be some real fancy foot work to that happy dance!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE: Wife, son and grandkids dug till daylight. No luck so I called them in for breakfast (wife made). After eating back to digging... I got to go to town to get more batteries (maybe some beer). I might help when I get back... my arm hurts. Stay tuned for major possible breakthrough!

But all jokes aside.... I couldn't imagine coming across something like that myself. Hell... my wife, son and grandkids are gone!!!!!!

If I found something like that I swear EVERYBODY would be hearing a crazy old man yelling from Middle Tennessee. And that "earthquake" being reported is my HAPPY DANCE!!!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Alchemy

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Beautiful Burnett county, WI
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I dug something like this, I wouldn't say jack to anyone for a long time. Much more research would have to be done. I don't trust the guberment. I'd wonder if they wouldn't come in and try to say the money was stolen umpteen years ago in a train robery, some big BS, yada, yada, and take it from me. I'd have the patience of Job for dealing with it (no one has to unload it with in the darn month or even a year of finding (Ya think?) lol People just have big mouths and wanna scream from the roof tops. I say, "Hold your tongue", and spend wisely. Eventually, find a good layer (or tax accountant and work form there (being very cautious along the way)

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Said this before and will say it again ------------ There have been many huge hoards found in my opinion JUST NEVER REPORTED !!!!
This whole thing while interesting is a big MARKETING PROGRAM BY THE DEALER ! There must have been dealers who could have quietly moved these items to HIGH END COLLECTORS

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I dug something like this, I wouldn't say jack to anyone for a long time. Much more research would have to be done. I don't trust the guberment. I'd wonder if they wouldn't come in and try to say the money was stolen umpteen years ago in a train robery, some big BS, yada, yada, and take it from me. I'd have the patience of Job for dealing with it (no one has to unload it with in the darn month or even a year of finding (Ya think?) lol People just have big mouths and wanna scream from the roof tops. I say, "Hold your tongue", and spend wisely. Eventually, find a good layer (or tax accountant and work form there (being very cautious along the way)

Totally agree.... After all my screaming and happy dancing stopped I'd shut-up and do a LOT OF THINKING and research.... I'd resist to the end paying the Govt. ANYTHING!!!!!

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
The Crazy True History of the Saddle Ridge Gold Coins

old-cabin10.jpg

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
did everyone who lived hundreds of years ago leave caches? sounds like it

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
did everyone who lived hundreds of years ago leave caches? sounds like it

They still do it.... I have 3.82 million in nickels and dimes buried in my woods. But I'm not telling where. Get that $1.00 yet Jeff? I suggest getting a blue one.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if I quietly disappear, I'm either dead or I hit the big one, and I hope it's the latter!

Lol! I need to practice my happy dance...left foot, right foot...hop,hop, left foot, .......

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why in the world would someone report this find.
couldn't you just slowly release them over years, or do you need the big hit all at once and have the govt take half
seems like you would have a better return on your find if you were smart about it.
And getting a dealer involved?
what's his take on the deal?
Brady

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread