Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't hurt to ask, I say go for it, you never know what will turn up, treasure's where you find it!
Maybe some one hid they're cans of rare gold coins! Lol! Sorry couldn't resist.

Aussie

Nov 2, 2009
Where there were people, there will be targets and there were a lot of people. Large well made belt buckles were very popular in those times and the frequency pants were up and down I'd say a few were lost! Lol

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunt Woodstock grounds? I think you'd make a fortune in brass.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually Terry it was the brown acid you had to stay away from. It made a bunch of hippies have a very baaaad trip!

Here's a find one might expect there......

P1090722.JPG

I found this at an old park no longer in use and is definitely from the same time period.

P1090724.JPG

A vintage sterling coke spoon.

We find some weird chit out there detecting!

Cheers,
Dave.

P1110361.JPG

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somone on the T-Net forum here has to be local to Woodstock NY. I bet they are hitting it up, I would if I was local to Woodstock. I am curious to hear about people that have detected there.

digging

Oct 14, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265-X, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I detected the Woodstock field in the 1980's. I've always been interested in the Festival, so finding most anything was fun....at first. Bear in mind that the field is 30 plus acres so I was just scratching the surface. No silver was found, but plenty of clad coins with none dating past 1969 obviously. There must have been a million jug wine bottle screw caps in that field of which I found about 50-100. It makes sense because it's Woodstock, right? I'm sure there's gold jewelry out there, but it's trashy obviously and I turned the discrimination up and thus forfeited gold. A rusted shut folding pocket knife; a leather wrapped Ronson lighter and a broken umbrella handle were found. The most interesting find was a flowery engraved black pipe stamped "India" whose intended purpose was not likely to be tobacco. Also, one of those aluminum gas station promotional tokens from that era which had on one side The Star-Spangled banner and a US flag. Ironic when you think that Jimi Hendrix closed Woodstock playing that song. All in all I enjoyed hunting it, but it was just an open country field then. Now the grounds are all manicured and there's a big concert hall and museum at the top of the hill, so it's doubtful anybody can hunt it anymore.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do recall an article in W&E Treasures back then. Was that written by you, digging?

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
​good idea...may of been other events held there in the past, you never know until the detector passes over!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it would be a waste of time. I mean, are you really excited about clad coins that would have been in circulation in 1969 ? Although there was a ton of people there, yet it was only for a single weekend (and thrashed with trash as you can see from the "after" pix). Seems to me you'd be better off going to a typical county park or beach where....... hundreds of persons have routinely gone, every weekend, for 50 or 100 yrs. Doing the math, I think in a single year the average park or school or beach or whatever ends up getting the same amount of foot-traffic-persons.

but ... whatever.
If you think about it, hardly any of us "drug addicted hippy freaks" had any money back then. I'd bet if you polled 100 attendees you would have found out of that 100 only 2 or 3 had more than a dime. Just sayin............

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you think about it, hardly any of us "drug addicted hippy freaks" had any money back then. I'd bet if you polled 100 attendees you would have found out of that 100 only 2 or 3 had more than a dime. Just sayin............
Yeah,, but was it a SILVER DIME??

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't hunt Woodstock, but I did hunt Goose Lake last year. It's now a 1,000-lot campground.
Goose Lake Music Festival, Leoni township, Mich, Aug. 7-9, 1970.
Capacity: 60,000.
Attendance: 200,000
Three days of drugs, rock-n-roll and deplorable debauchery. Oh, and a revolutionary 'rotating' stage.

I didn't find much of anything in a 30-minute hunt. Would like to try again though.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember the W&E Treasure article I read showed only clad was found, no silver. Being born in the 50s I remember in 1965 when all the silver coins were pretty much out of circulation. It was like they disappeared.

Funny comment about Woodstock... two years ago, I worked with a guy my age that said he and his brother had bought a VW Microbus in 1969 and were going to Woodstock with their girlfriends. Turns out his girlfriend got sick and she told him he couldn't go without her. His brother and girlfriend did go. I asked him, "What did his brother say about Woodstock"? He said his brother didn't remember a darn thing!!!

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good to read of your hunt there. I being a 'card carrying member' ( ticket holder) have always wondered what would be found, as you mentioned, lots of wine caps, and I figured many crushed beer cans, and of course numerous brass 'chamber pipes' (think how moldy that hash would be by now !!(JOKE)) . Personally I would avoid the field itself, but would hit the woods and camping areas. A lot of commerce went on away from the burger joints on the hill. Also in and around the pond might be a good place to hit for silver jewelry --- perhaps some day I'll 'get ack to the garden' and have a hunt there myself--

digging

Oct 14, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265-X, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good to read of your hunt there. I being a 'card carrying member' ( ticket holder) have always wondered what would be found, as you mentioned, lots of wine caps, and I figured many crushed beer cans, and of course numerous brass 'chamber pipes' (think how moldy that hash would be by now !!(JOKE)) . Personally I would avoid the field itself, but would hit the woods and camping areas. A lot of commerce went on away from the burger joints on the hill. Also in and around the pond might be a good place to hit for silver jewelry --- perhaps some day I'll 'get ack to the garden' and have a hunt there myself--

I thought about hunting the woods but never got there because I wasn't sure if it was owned by the same landowner at the time. I know they had paths in the woods that were named. What was in there? Were there makeshift stores, food sales, head shops? Did anyone camp in there?

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup, them 'pot stands' were in the woods. With 400k kids stumblin' around, I would think any and all things could turn up. Also, I would not doubt that the new 'entrepreneurs' own it all around there. Thing to do is stop on by and see if it's posted---- only two hours from where I am, --'bucket list'--(when I need one)

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd sure give it a try if had the opportunity. Shouldn't take long to discover whether it's a good hunt or not.
luvsdux

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They where Hippies. There wasn't 2 nickles between any of 'em.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread