Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I have heard people started hoarding silver well before the 1964 cutoff, change to clad was not a surprise move and everyone knew years in advance that a dime was about to be worth more than a dime.
So I would expect a vast majority of dropped coins to be clad.

Sounds like a fun idea to detect there but I think it would be hugely frustrating, you would have your hopes set up for a Hendrix ring or at least a cool hash pipe but likely find can slaw and bottlecaps all day long. Whatever you did find would lose its historic value pretty quick, as only you would know for sure the item came from there.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found a large Woodstock peace token and this thread came to mind - Unfortunately did not find it in NY but at a tot lot in MI, looks to be from a charity run and is huge.

Also found a nice .925 ring, large stainless some junk and a bunch of clad.

Attachments

• IMG_1749.JPG
    IMG_1749.JPG
    571.5 KB · Views: 64

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Here is a pic from that time.
Down there on the left I can see a hippy chick that is missing one silver earring.
Way up near the top some guy just lit a joint with a nice silver lighter he stole from his old man...and he just dropped it there and walked away.
Two or three others were flying high, dancing wildly and silver necklaces just broke and dropped off of their necks in other places.
I would hit it.

Attachments

• crowd.jpg
    crowd.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 92

digging

Oct 14, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265-X, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know what edition or date the W&E Treasure Woodstock article was? Thanks!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to do a search of the W&E Treasures archives and it didn't go back far enough. Would guess it was from the 70's...

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do not know what is there until you receive permission and search. Good hunting and good luck.

Hockey_Detectorist

Aug 15, 2016
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 200 & 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know if I would bother. Too much hippie belly button rings you would ring up.... that and maybe some metal bongs.

Samson2078

Feb 21, 2023
There has to be lots of jewelry there. Especially in the water where everyone was swimming and bathing. Also in front of the stage where people were wallowing in the mud. Got to be rings and necklaces

Samson2078

Feb 21, 2023
Here is a pic from that time.
Down there on the left I can see a hippy chick that is missing one silver earring.
Way up near the top some guy just lit a joint with a nice silver lighter he stole from his old man...and he just dropped it there and walked away.
Two or three others were flying high, dancing wildly and silver necklaces just broke and dropped off of their necks in other places.
I would hit it.
There has to be tons of jewelry but like people said good luck sorting thru all the trash(cans, bottle tops etc)

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to remember is most of the attendees of Woodstock drove, hitched rides or walked to get there. Somebody had to have money for gas to get there and get back to where they came from! Also, all those people weren't buying dope without money cause the dealers weren't giving their products away for good looks! And a vast amount of those people attending had money for food. And, I remember that I was picking silver coins out of my pocket change for many years after 1969!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions