WOODSTOCK anyone ever detect it?

davidj4220

Jul 6, 2013
That's a great idea! With all the mud when the concert occurred I'm sure there is a small fortune!

ingram4868

Jan 16, 2014
Sparks, NV
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's Coinmaster, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Garrett-Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting idea but I don't think I would want anything from that mess.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I think it would be a waste of time. I mean, are you really excited about clad coins that would have been in circulation in 1969 ? Although there was a ton of people there, yet it was only for a single weekend (and thrashed with trash as you can see from the "after" pix). Seems to me you'd be better off going to a typical county park or beach where....... hundreds of persons have routinely gone, every weekend, for 50 or 100 yrs. Doing the math, I think in a single year the average park or school or beach or whatever ends up getting the same amount of foot-traffic-persons.

but ... whatever.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is private property. Just sayin'

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you could get permission, I think it would be an interesting place to detect. Four years after the end of silver coins isn't much, and I'd been some was lost. Who knows that else is lying in that grass.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd detect it if given the chance, you could probably sell all the trash stuff on ebay as mementos...

Masonman007

May 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would for sure. Not just because of Woodstock but probably still an old field. Found lots of cool old stuff in old fields

davidj4220

Jul 6, 2013
I just looked up the price of gold per ounce in 1969 and it was around $35.00-41.00 and silver looks like it was a dollar or two. Gotta be some gold and silver jewelry. I'm sure you would be sifting a lot of trash to get whatever goodies might be there.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just don't do the purple acid!:laughing7:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've thought about it before. Keep in mind what stopped me. This was in 1969 Woodstock was full of hippies, they shared what little things they had... All you'll find is hash pipes and and roach clips maybe a little clad. Again everyone was a broke hippy most things were shared... Jewelry was mostly beads, you may find some nice silver jewelry though. Hippies did not get rich until they got older and Woodstock was long over.

Keep @ it and HH !!

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think there'd be much of anything. Weren't most of them running around naked?

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now this is a very entertaining thread ! I'm sure I've never seen anyone put this question forward until now . I strongly disagree with
the earlier posts that were saying- no it's just dope pipes and roach clips - or the other that said hippies had no money - HOGWASH !
many of these kids were in fact solidly middle class ! Best estimates place the population for the WEEKEND at @ 400,000 !!!
that's like a medium sized city !. There would be massive jewelry losses- rings, pendants , chains - additionally the clad count would be
staggering . I think it's safe to say that in 1969 there were still massive numbers of silver dimes and quarters circulating - I was collecting
coins by that time for about 5 years - and I remember seeing them in grocery store tills regularly into the early 70's anyway .

Az Old Noob

Dec 28, 2007
Arizona
I've thought about that place ever since I got into detecting (mid 70's). I just always assumed (yeah, I know) it was hit hard and regularly by locals.

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at Woodstock 94 so anything you find is probably something I lost. :P

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Historical value of most of the finds would make it worthwhile. That said, many of the care-free people & Hippies of the day have turned into the Rude, paranoid, greedy Yuppies & Narks of today's society.

dsc_0100.jpg

Good luck getting anyone who owns the fields to say yes. & If you do post all the finds... I wanna see them :headbang:

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could always contact Alan Gerry and see if he would give you permission to hunt the site of the concert. It is now the Bethel Woods Center for the Arts but there is most of the original site still open and could be hunted. With all the rain and mud I would suspect a lot of jewelry was lost in that short period of time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread