Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is about those sites that cause you to lose sleep thinking about the goodies that you just KNOW lie hidden there. The day comes and you end up with a disappointing amount of finds.
This huge old tree causes me to imagine all the tired, hot people that surely have sat in it's shade over the many decades it has been around. It stands beside a long abandoned road that used to be the main route of the area. The road was rerouted when a new bridge was built over the nearby creek, but still used by the people who had the farm the tree is on. The farm buildings have been gone many years now and the land is owned by a power company that leases the fields to a local farmer. Although the surrounding fields and creek have given up some good finds to me, the old tree has been stubborn. A few crushed beer cans are all I have managed under it. The feeling is so strong though, I can't resist giving it a few swings every time I go there.
qahy6yde.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEHE.... that little voice in our brains is a little bugger !!!!

Maybe there is a flowing hair half dollar masked under them beer cans .

Seriously though..... some good looking spots turn out disappointing and some spots that look plain can be awesome....never know what took place 300 years ago.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a sucker for old trees too. There is one in town I have had my eye one but have not been given permission to search it yet.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OD, I'm going to go out on a limb, and say sorry about the old tree being a disappointment. What do you think the root of the problem could be? It has me stumped too. ??? At least you branched out and gave it a shot. O.K., enough of the corny jokes. :laughing7: I had a similar situation at a plantation house I have been detecting for years. It had many huge old oak trees in the front yard. I found relics for years in the woods, the fields, the yard, and even the gravel driveway. All the old oak trees had coins and relics under them, except the biggest one in the yard where I thought I would find a bonanza of relics. I found nothing under that one tree. Very weird. :dontknow: Good luck at the next tree. :thumbsup: -Doug-

Attachments

• imagesCA5WQ2JO.jpg
    imagesCA5WQ2JO.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ha ha....

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there's any kind of sloping ground around the tree follow the slope downward, coins like to escape with water flow check the low spots, if all else fails do what I do...blame the squirrels! Lol!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High hopes followed by crushing disappointment and long periods of nothing but junk finds are all part of the hobby. But the high when you find something amazing is well worth it. Might not be at this site but maybe at the next.

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Squirrels don't carry metal detectors, silly Msbeepbeep. And don't you think it's a little to early for drinking (again)?
:)

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, I have no doubt of that. Many detectorists hunt the exposed ground after a large tree gets blown down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread