Fresh meat getting into metal detecting, what one to buy?

jayinwww

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been looking at metal detecting videos for a while now, and been reading up mostly on what people have been finding with metal detectors. Some pretty awesome stuff out there under ground.

I would like to get into it myself, but I realize that I don't want to get just a cheep one for now and then get a better one later. I'd rather just get one that I can use in many different situation and for many different metals etc.

I don't believe I will be much into detecting parks, maybe I will change my later. Mostly I'd rather hit fields, forest paths, rivers, or old abandoned homesteads etc. I'd like to search for all metals, silver, gold, coins etc. I don't mind spending a lot of time on trying to figure out a complicated detector either, in fact I would prolly enjoy that.

When i started to read up on metal detectors I was a bit surprised that people had so many different opinions. I guess you can't just go out and ask for the best metal detector.

I was searching and came across these two Vaquero and Tejon. People suggested Vaquero for the parks and Tejon for the fields. To be honest I'd rather just get a good metal detector that does everything. Why do so many metal detector guys buy two or more metal detectors?

Also do standard metal detectors still find gold? Or do you have to buy a gold metal detector for gold and a standard one for everything else?

Really enjoying the forums and thanks a lot!

Rockhoppernc

Jan 17, 2014
Asheville
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a Brian here,
The best advice I can give is 1. spend what you can, they all go beep. 2. Buy a name brand 3. There is nothing wrong with buying a older model.
In most big name brands, A nice detector from a year or two back might have been big money and now can be had for $200, $300 bucks.
I myself was in the same boat a few short weeks ago after getting back into this obsession. I asked lots of questions and decided in a older White's classic IDX.
It has lots of power and shoots deep. One other thing that was my main want was an indication display to help give a better idea what is in the ground under my coil. But as we all know, if something under the ground has a good (sound to it) we are going to dig it, ooo and look for one with multi tone beeps and find out if the detector your looking at is a fast or slow swing machine. My IDX likes it slow but I did find silver the other day in a hole with 4 nails. I dug it because I got a little flash on my display in the silver area and not the sound.
My Idea was to get a good detector, find some gold,silver, and what ever else I find, and upgrade a detector and gear as I go.

Have fun

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well it all depends on what your budget is. You say you don't want to start with a basic detector and that you would enjoy the learning curve of a complicated machine? Well the whites v3i is a good detector and for sure is complicated enough to have you spend a year or two to get to learn it...
If you want something simple that WILL work in all the situations you stated than the whites mxt pro will just do.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! I highly suggest the Tesoro Vaquero. It can be manually ground balanced, is very deep, is great in parks, farm fields, woods - where ever! It is a great gold and silver machine, has a very small learning curve, and is light enough to swing all day. At $450.00 it is affordable, has a Lifetime warranty, and is made in America (Arizona), by Americans. Yes I am biased, and I do use a lot of Tesoro machines. Best of Luck! :occasion14:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I've seen alot of people over the years buy one, come up empty after 2-3 times out and stick it in the closet. For this reason I suggest a mid grade used machine. It has already lost it's value as compared to a new one and won't have the annoying habit the cheap ones do of finding every little bit of trash. If you decide this hobby isn't for you, you can sell it for what you paid. If you decide it is you can trade it up for a better one. Most dealers will take them in trade towards a new model. What's your location ? If you're 1000 miles from the ocean, for example, one that's good in sand may not be a requirement. Talk to some of the dealers on here as well. Above all you need to realize up front it's not a magic wand. It will not make treasure appear where nothing has ever been lost. Research is key. All the best.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T -Net! If you know where you will be searching and what you want to search for, that's half the battle. See if you can go to a dealer and test some out.

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
J

jayinwww

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for the replies.

Whites v3i Estimated Value $1,550.00?
Been doing some reading and so far I really like the display screen of the v3i. I like how it has different filters and you can play with the tone settings to set up the machine the way you would like it to be. Been reading some forums that v3i guys are a dying breed? Is this true or just an individual opinion?

Some suggest that the V3i has a rather steep learning curve, but it will make you a better detectorist. I really like the idea of that.

Does the v3i come with that portable small probe you can put into the dirt to triangulate?

What advantages in finding treasure over the Tesoro Vaquero does this have? Has better depth readings?

Tesoro Vaquero Estimated Value $446.25?
I see the Tesoro Vaquero has dials on it and no display screen. Am i right to assume that maybe a display screen is too much of a time waster? That instead of pushing a bunch of buttons on the display screen you just turn the dial instead and it's quicker? Can this detector find metals just as good as the whites v3i?

White's classic IDX Estimated Value $400?

Garrett AT Pro Comes with Accessories $637.45?
The Garrest AT Pro seems like a great starter machine as it comes with some accessories. Pretty cool! Also has a display screen which I like and will save your settings after you powered it off and on again for next use. Has the same depth sensitivity as the v3i?

I'm still doing some research and will share my findings. But I am leaning towards the AT Pro as it does seem to have less of a steep learning curve.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second the AT Pro if you want to detect rivers and creeks. It's a great value starting out and waterproof to 10 feet. I really wouldn't recommend a v3i for first machine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jayinwww

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second the AT Pro if you want to detect rivers and creeks. It's a great value starting out and waterproof to 10 feet. I really wouldn't recommend a v3i for first machine.

If you don't mind me asking, what detectors do you use yourself?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't mind me asking, what detectors do you use yourself?
Sovereign GT , Excalibur 1000, and CTX 3030 are what I use for many different hunting situations from all kinds of land hunting to beach and scuba detecting. I had an AT Pro in case your wondering why I recommended it. You can't beat it for the $$$ and be able to detect in fresh water creeks/ rivers. If you really like the hobby the CTX is as close to the perfect all around detector there is but it cost 4X as much and has quite a bit more of a learning curve. Good luck with whatever you buy!

Last edited:

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I got into the hobby I was told to start with the AT Pro. The advise was that anything less will be on the wall within a year if you like the hobby.
It was good advice.

You can use the machine anywhere and it does a lot in any type of environment. Block the iron, good pinpointing, change frequencies if you get interference, auto and manual ground balance, vdi display, etc. If you can spring for it get a decent pinpointer like the propointer or pistol probe. That will make learning the hobby much more enjoyable.

JUNKER

Apr 7, 2012
SW FL,Copper Hill VA,Temple ME
Detector(s) used
XLT GrandmastercxIII Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Florida the best thing you could do is check to see if there is a club near you and go see them most members would be happy to help you out and let you try their detectors out that way you get a variety to check out and get different opinions also the feel of them verses going right out to buy one it's like cars some like Ford's or Chevy or Higher dollar brands and going to a place some just tried to sell you what they have or make the most on.

Their are a lot of good people hear that can give you advice Terry has posted some good video's along with others here but I think hands on is the best to get the feel balance and check out the different ops

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detector Decisions

Hi jayinwww; The story on multiple detectors is easy. We're nuts.!! Seriously, if you want an all around detector that "will" do all you want then go with the Whites Vi3. You will "NEVER" need to buy another detector for the rest of your life literally. I have used Whites detectors for over 45 years now. I have "NEVER" been disappointed ok. Now, That is for land only ok. For underwater you can get the Garrett ATX. I've heard nothing but good about the Garrett underwater detectors ok. I hope this helps you cut through the BS and get "exactly" what you want ok. The only other detector I would recommend is the Excalibur Safari. My digging partner has one. I am impressed ok. All 3 have excellent Warranty's on them as well ok. Now if you want to get a good used detector for all around land hunting then you can get a Whites DFX for about $500 - $600 used. It has a good Warranty. Very sensitive. Has a Display screen. Not hard to learn. It will lock on a dime at 10" - 12" no prob. Larger objects deeper obviously. I have found rings at 14". Now that is DEPTH ok. Underwater : Again the Garrett ATX is the one for me ok. Underwater is all about Pulse Induction ok. A footnote here. The reason the users of the V3i seem like a dying breed is because once they buy one they stay with it for LIFE ok. They don't trade them in so there is nothing to talk about ok. AND it is a turn on and go to start with detector. On Pinpointers, just buy a good one and get it over with ok. Same with Headphones. Do not ever go detecting without your headphones ok. Get the best ones you can ok. I hope this helps. I wish you the best. PEACE:RONB

Last edited:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Jay! These are all good choices . Let me add the Garrett AT Gold to the group, its highly sensitive to small gold, waterproof, has ground balance and target ID screen.

Wayne

Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went with the AT Pro myself last year.Literally had the best year ever in my 30+ years of detecting.
I remembered in the past I was out detecting with a Whites 6000Di when the skies just opened up and me and my detector got soaked. I dried out the detector for a couple days afterwards but it never worked right after that. So the waterproof really was a good selling point for me.
Now when I get caught in the rain I just keep on detecting LOL!

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were spending $600-700 I would buy the ATpro or gold,$1500+ the xp deus is the way to go,all wireless! $2500+ the atx or the 3030. Hope this helps! If you look around on here,you'll see members find good stuff with EVERYTHING in all price ranges. Welcome to TNET:thumbsup:

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the fisher CZ 21 for shore hunting ... one of the best all round detectors...water proof to 250 feet ..powerfull and sensitive.

Land hunting I use the Fisher f75 se....very powerfull machine..but takes a lot of reading if it is your first detector...I love the display screen ..keeps you from digging all the junk...but lotsa detectorists will argue that you should be digging every signal depending on the site..

Haven,t tried the CZ 21 on land yet as it is frozen solid still...but supposed to be very good. Need to belt mount the control box..and the stick is like swinging a toothpick..very light. Has Discrm MODE ...so does it all.

OP
OP
J

jayinwww

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the replies. I think I will go for the waterproofing capabilities of the ATPro, so this one seems to be the most versatile.

As for the AT Gold I heard that it doesn't work that great in salt water, but it is good in finding tiny specs of gold, is it really worth it?

The whites v3i still intrigues me, but not being water proof it really makes me question the quality and engineering of the whites. The software of the whites is where is shines above the others, at least it seems to me. Maybe down the road I will get two detectors but for now I will get the AT Pro.

Thank you everyone for your help! Appreciate it!

OP
OP
J

jayinwww

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the AT Pro the same as the AT Pro International?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread