What is this place?

Froggie

Feb 19, 2007
Stafford Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Cellar? The bottom pic was only about 10 yards away.
I know this is CW and colonial area.
I found 7 more of this in the area
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a cellar hole to me..
Any good finds there ???
GOOD LUCK!!!

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
It looks very interesting to me too. I would hit it very hard. Any idea what the letters carved into the rock stand for?? Looks like a great area. Please keep us posted.

OP
OP
Froggie

Froggie

Feb 19, 2007
Stafford Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
RON (PA) said:
It looks very interesting to me too. I would hit it very hard. Any idea what the letters carved into the rock stand for?? Looks like a great area. Please keep us posted.

I didn't detect it yet.
So far, all my research is pointing to R.S. being Richard Stratford who was one of the orgininal founders of Jamestown Virginia in 1603. He lived in that same area.
That area was also very active in the CW.
The rock engraving is so nice I find it hard to believe it would have been from the CW era because of the history of the spot.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Hi, This is my first post. I have a few ideas for you to think about. The construction looks to me like a stone wall as opposed to a cellar, that could support a structure. In New England, an abundance of stones facilitated their use in several different ways. Wood was not as abundant in colonial times as we might think. The largest, straightest trees were claimed and marked with the kings arrow, while lesser trees were used up in private and public buildings, Any remaining woods were consumed for fuel, furnishings, etc.

Vast areas of land were cleared for farming and livestock. While removing stones to create areas of tillable soil, the stones were turned into the walls that New England is famous for. In order to keep the growing numbers of livestock from ruining the crops, stone pens were constructed. Local governments also built livestock pens known as "Town pounds", to keep straying animals in until they could be claimed,(often for a small fee).

Being from southern Maine originally, I can see you have a great spot there! TAKE IT REAL SLOW. As for the rock carving, all I can say is WoW! As I look at the pic, it seems like I could pull out that stone to the left of the R, revealing a long hidden cache. Sorry! After 36 yrs. in this hobby, my imagination is pretty vivid. Treasure is right where you find it, so never ignore any spots during your hunts. I would guess that all of us would detect around that rock, but, would all of us actually scan the rock itself? I have found many coins wedged in the crevices of large rocks and ledges.

Well, sorry for the long post, But this is the greatest hobby ever, and I love talking about it.

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
it LOOKS like a cellar hole........heck, it LOOKS amazing. For the love of god, dig, man dig!!!! I wanna see coins !!!!!

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Detect the heck out of all of it, and anywhere you can around there.

With no grafitti on those rocks....... NOBOBY has been there for a very long time!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!! And post pics we all want to see what you find. ;D ;D

OP
OP
Froggie

Froggie

Feb 19, 2007
Stafford Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Bad news :(
I did some more checking on the area and it has just been declared a historical area and this spring historical landmarks will be put in along with a scenic trail. I guess that means no MD'ing there.
It is a 17 acrea "Island" with a small access point from the subdivision I live in which I stumbled upon.
To bad because it is walking distance from my house.
The place is called Government Island in Virginia.
It was discovered in the mid 1970's and purchased for $10.00!!!
I found this pic on a gov. web site. I think it is the same place I posted above
NR_Stafford_GovernmentIsland_089-0103_Photo_4.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread