OK, You found a dead body in the woods.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a body in the woods a while back, and I wrapped it up in a tarp and brought it home with me. When I got home, I unwrapped it and took it's necklace off. It was a beautiful necklace, too with several engraved medallions on it. Fortunately, one of those medallions had a name and number on it which I promptly called to let the owners know that I had found their dead dog.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I leave a body in the woods.. Umm, hold on, I meant to say when I find a body in the woods.. Umm, well, oh never mind! :dontknow:

Attachments

• nbhgyt554.JPG
    nbhgyt554.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 117

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Ok , Here's the reality of the situation. In my younger days, about 6, I found a body floating, butting against our pier. It was a female swimmer that had drowned several days prior. She was covered with feasting crabs, the big blue ones in the bay. I went out on the pier and inspected the situation and then went up to the house and told my mother. I can still see her! Frank...
111-1 profileblk.jpg

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi mamabear; Your on to us. !!! Sandmans only kidding of course. PEACE:RONB

to me, I have a rule : I don't bother the dead and they don't bother me.!!!. Simple.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok, I would report it on a public phone with a hat or hood pulled down so as to avoid a lot of time useage ( come on he's dead anyway)

Before I left the body I would write on the forearm with a pen " jeffofpa killed me"

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok , Here's the reality of the situation. In my younger days, about 6, I found a body floating, butting against our pier. It was a female swimmer that had drowned several days prior. She was covered with feasting crabs, the big blue ones in the bay. I went out on the pier and inspected the situation and then went up to the house and told my mother. I can still see her! Frank...
View attachment 954104

sorry to hear that you went through that Frankn ( although that does explain some things)

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master gt..ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try seeing bloated bodies that have been sitting in 110 degree heat for two days. Not pleasant, people can say that they would jack the body, but when metal meets the meat, minds do change.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Its not like the old days. You find a body & report it, and no problems. The last 10, 20 years you are a prime suspect. The police believe you to be the number one person of interest; and you will be hasseled (most cases) till they solve the case. I know this from dealing with law enforcement for a good part of my life. This is also why a lot of 'hit & run' ACCIDENTS are not reported as should be. People know they will be possibly prosecuted for manslaughter. The world is getting crazier all the time. AND, if you don't report a discovered body, you will be facing charges also.! It all depends on the circumstances I believe.

This is absolutely the truth. I personally know of two cases when bodies were discovered, and they did the right thing and called the police. One fellow was driving a log truck and found the body of a woman that had been missing for a long time, she was in the log pond close to her home. The trucker had off loaded and was loading his log trailer, and the trailer loader was next to the pond. Log ponds are nasty, they aren't pretty little lakes, the are full of bark and gungy, and she was floating under water, so the first thing he noticed was a gold chain around her neck, and he had to do a closer look, then when he saw her hair and some of her body, he called it in, and when the police arrived, he was arrested for murder and had a lot of problems with the police over a period of time lasting weeks. Her boy friend had killed her, and dumped her body, but until they could prove who did it, he was the prime suspect. I was loading his truck later and asked him about it, and he said he'd never call again if he found another body. The second one was at night, a body was dumped out of a car on a freeway off ramp, and the next guy behind them saw the the bad guys racing away, and as he approached the spot, he saw the body in the grass. Same deal, guilty until proven innocent. That said, I'd probably still go ahead and report it, simply because it's the right thing to do. I'd probably get mouthy with the police if they pulled that guilty until innocent stuff on me though. If the body was found washed up on the beach or floating in the ocean or river, I haven't heard of people being hassled in that case.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't want to find a 3wek floater and use a pike poll to bring her in.. they go poof. Those are the ones you remember. Or grab a krisspy one and have there arm or foot land up in your hands.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Only after an apocalyptic event and I would be looking for supplies not wallets...

Careful,depending on how bad the event is,it could turn out that the body is supplies:laughing7:

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Anyone who would seriously loot a corpse is a mentally ill, catastrophically anti-social nitwit who belongs in a high security institution of some kind. If you aren't there yet, just give it time. You will be. As far as reticence to 'get involved', that's a bit more understandable. There's at least some basis in reason for people to not want to entangle their lives with the investigation of a homicide, however I still think it takes a certain sort of a**hole to see a dead body and not report it. I can comprehend the reasoning for it but its a pretty crappy thing to do.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We found one about 15 years ago. He had a leather jacket on and looked like a wound to the head tied him to a tree and later hauled him out with the police. I think later they said he had escaped from a mental institution and drowned. The turtles had been on him is what we saw. Found another last year on Chickamauga creek on the river clean up day. Found out he was from a homeless camp.They got him out this time. We were never suspects or questioned. They sink first then gases make them come back up and eventually will sink for good. My cousin used to do cave rescues and recoveries. That would have been tough. This kinda stuff ruins your day. Do the right thing and report it. You will not be a suspect. This is a weird thread! :icon_scratch: Come on summer.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok I guess this issa joke but it it aint. my partner n I found a skull (I told him to stop digging on the mound) but no he kept goin. itwuz by a old gold mine in da middle of an old indian area. there was a big hole on the side of the skull. Guys we have dug up things dat would make you think about wat your doin. I by accident dug in a Indian graveyard and it aint cool. A old member here told me DO NOT bring home finds cause its bad juju. his name wuz Old California. just sayin!!

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was someone here on TN that said when he was detecting a tot-lot he found a dead body on a slide,he said he called
9-1-1,and it took him along time before he ever went back to that tot-lot.I never found a dead body and hope I never do,but NO, I would not rob a dead body,that's just WRONG!!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a body as a kid when a friend (My friends Dad was a Deputy) and I were going fishing the body was laying up against a fence, turned out to be an old migrant who laid against the fence and passed away and yep we got in all kinds of trouble but only because we were sneaking to a pond we didn't have permission to fish also found another body from the smell, turned out someone dumped the body over the cliff on the side of the road that I rode my bike down going to my job, called the cops in both cases , I grew up with all the cops kids so never was hassled. (small town) also 40+ yrs ago don't know what would happen in today's world if the same happened today. Probably the guilty until proven innocent scenario.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've handled a few dead bodies in my time and I hope to never do it again but I would report rite away and hope it would give someone some closure.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Yes, remove jewelry and wallet and also check for gold teeth! If you find any they come out easy with pliers, if not, use your digging tool to wedge and pry them out. Mostly older men will have gold teeth. If the body is "ripe" you may need to breath through your month... but this can leave a bad taste for awhile!

Good luck on your hunt!

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, remove jewelry and wallet and also check for gold teeth! If you find any they come out easy with pliers, if not, use your digging tool to wedge and pry them out. Mostly older men will have gold teeth. If the body is "ripe" you may need to breath through your month... but this can leave a bad taste for awhile!

Good luck on your hunt!

LOL... Not to mention if the body is still warm how much those organs go for in China.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread