Bounty Hunter IV

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The Family and I are going on vacation to Mexico and was wondering if scanning the beaches while I was there would be a good idea?.. I could probably find out on the www but am I allowed to pack my md in my suitcase?.. Also if anybody has done this have they had any luck? Thanks for the info in adance!!!!

I detected in Mexico, back in about 1995-ish, and had a lot of fun. We went down through El Paso/Jaurez, and had the detectors in full -view in the back of our truck. The border patrol saw them and said something to my host, and my host said something back to him in Spanish. After we drove through, I asked my friend what they had said to each other. The guy had asked "what's that?", and my host told him "for pasa tiempo". Meaning, for a past-time or hobby. The gaurd had just shrugged his shoulders and waved us through.

We spent 2 weeks going all through little towns in the Sierra madres, that date back to the 1600 and 1700s. Never found any caches, but did get individual coins dating back to the mid 1800s. All I can say is: There's LOT OF TRASH EVERYWHERE. Even the most remote ruins back in the boon-docks are magnets for trash. Because down there, they don't have curb-site pickup like we do here for trash-service (except maybe in the biggest cities). So down there, when you have trash to dump, they just take it to the nearest cliff or river or abandoned ruins and pitch it out the back of their trucks. So no matter where we went, no matter how remote, there was modern trash :( Still had fun though. Great people, great food, good booze, etc...

Oh, and every single person down there is convinced there's certain treasures in every cave, and by every ruin. Treasure lore and superstition is everywhere, and they're 100% certain that every tale is iron clad. After a week or so we stopped even paying attention to all that stuff, and just contented ourselves to try various ruins and yards of the relatives, etc....

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't be too careful there.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have been several previous threads on the subject of taking a detector on the airplane. Some disassemble and take coil and control box in carry on and shaft in checked bags. Some put the entire detector in checked bag (hard case), some use a detector case (hard case) and check it as a bag.

There was an article in one of the treasure mags of couple that detected the beaches in Mexico at their hotel, found some good stuff and had a good time. They did say the gave some of their coins to the security guard at the hotel and he was very helpful to them. Hope this helps. GL. HH! Pack your sunscreen!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have not been there in years, I go to DR now, but the detecting of the resort beaches was pretty good when I was there. I found US and European gold jewelry and lost of mexican silver jewelry. No old coins but a very wide variety of coins from different countries which was fun. Better the finding just US coins.

Whenever traveling I use a large soft side suitcase. I pack half my clothes then the broken down detector followed by the second half of my clothes. I check the bag and have never put a lock on the bag. I've never had a problem. The bag is usually searched but nothing is ever missing. I do take my finds home in my carry on...lol. I'm only trusting so far.

I've never had any problems in Mexico or Dominican Republic. Last few years I've been going to the same area of DR and become friendly with a few of the local detectorist. It is hard for them to get replacement parts so I take orders when I go down there.

Good luck

NJ

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, My first post ever was about detecting in Mexico and I just published it a few hour ago.... I use a Minelab GT at different spots on the coast just South of the San Diego border. Ive been detecting there for 6 months now and I literally bring back a jar of Pesos every time I go..... I have found silver jewelry several times and a very nice gold 14k mens ring. It seems to be virgin ground compared to the Southern California Beaches populated by the huge mass of humanity that uses mostly credit cards. In Mexico there are far more people that deal exclusively in cash then in the US. I also try to go to places where working class people go. Its not uncommon for people to carry all their money around with them all the time. Also Mexico was one of the last Countries to stop using silver in their coins. I have found several modern silver 50 peso coins and some of the older various denomination Pesos where solid >90. Most currency is comprised of two bands of banded white metals on the inside with a yellow band on the outside. These bands consist of various metals depending on the year of the coins. The 20 peso coins silver center was still 90% silver up until (I think 93) Its legal to hunt there, but that doesn't mean that a policeman or lifeguard won't confiscate your detector either . 13 pesos equal a US dollar. The presence of a detector on a beach there sometimes draws a crowd. In general people are friendly and mean well. I have never had a problem. I wish you luck and I hope you have a great time.....

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't answer your question....
I drive in from San Diego. There is a new high tech port of entry in San Ysidro now. On slow days every tenth vehicle gets searched going INTO Mexico. There are no laws expressly banning MD's. My detector pretty much takes up the entire trunk and In six months Ive been searched twice. When asked about about the detector I just tell them that Im going to search in front of my hotel while on vacation. On one occasion I was pulled over by a MC cop while coming out. I told him I was a surveyor in America and that I bring my work tools to my vacation home from time to time. Its legal, but I could easily see the equipment getting confiscated if I didn't speak spanish well and make an effort to put out a Mexican vibe when Im was there.
If you are searching in front of a real resort hotel at a tourist mecca, you have nothing to worry about but the working class Pacific beaches of border towns require that you present an aura of "fitting in".
By the way, Mexico receives about 1000% more bad press then it should. Bad things happen, but its generally no way near as bad as Los Angeles or Detroit. Its also a lot more beautiful and Ive had some really great times there.

OP
OP
F

flashyace

Sep 26, 2013
southern Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
we went to the DR last year and was not impressed at all, so we are going back to where all the magic began!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread