So... Please tell me Why does a metal detector cost $2499 again? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Like Tree631Likes

Thread: So... Please tell me Why does a metal detector cost $2499 again?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jul 2012
    Holmes County Ohio
    Tesoro Lobo
    1682 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I don't think I could enjoy the ride that was costing me $1200.
    Two rules in life: Don't sweat the small stuff.

It's all small stuff.

us
    El Padron

Oct 2010
    Southern California
    The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
    412 times
    Unreported banner: 3 (maybe 4)
    Treasure Hunter you make a lot of good points, especially about the depreciation, but we can only resell our detectors if they are built well enough to last until we are ready to part with them. I don't mind that I paid $52, 000 for my convertible Corvette back in 2002, and now its worth $10,000. It took me past 155 miles an hour (once) and looked and felt like QUALITY....I didn't have to worry about it the entire time I've owned it either. I'm not doubting the effectiveness of the tools that we use in our hobby. My detector works fine, its great, it just feels cheap, thats all I'm saying. I have learned to live with the fact that If a squirell piss*s on it, I may well have to upgrade it to the tune of another grand or two. I mean cmon why isn't every detector at least water resistant? Like I said in an earlier post, a typical drugstore seven dollar flashlight certainly is. It often feels well made too. We put men on the moon (I'm pretty sure)......
    Davers likes this.

us
    Commodore

Mar 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
    421 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by barrywk View Post
    Its simple,supply and demand.Although some will say that detectors r massed produced,compared to televisions and other everyday electronics that everyone uses,detectors r used by a small fraction of the population so the expensive technology that is put into the detectors is not subsidized by mass quantities sold,but also some of the high prices r probably a little hype in them too....lol
    Exactly! Metal Detectors don't sell to the masses like TV's.
    Fletch88 and Bejamble like this.

us
    El Padron

Oct 2010
    Southern California
    The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
    412 times
    Off course they sell to the masses.... look at HAM radios, a surprisingly good hand held radio can be bought for $65. There really was no way out of paying $800 for the 1985 equivalent. I take it back, the new one is not equivalent, its BETTER. Now does everyone you know have a hand held licensed HAM handset? Hell no, I'm sure no one here even knows what the hell I'm talking about...... They don't sell that many. But how many cheaply made $1000 metal detectors have been sold worldwide. 10's of thousands? millions? there is a huge market and until people start asking "why do I have to wrap and pad this thing to the point of babying it while Im climbing a cliff wall" the quality of the cases and pricing won't improve.
    Last edited by el padron; Mar 10, 2014 at 08:49 AM.
    UncleMatt likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    31097 times
    Quote Originally Posted by el padron View Post
    Treasure Hunter you make a lot of good points, especially about the depreciation, but we can only resell our detectors if they are built well enough to last until we are ready to part with them. I don't mind that I paid $52, 000 for my convertible Corvette back in 2002, and now its worth $10,000. It took me past 155 miles an hour (once) and looked and felt like QUALITY....I didn't have to worry about it the entire time I've owned it either. I'm not doubting the effectiveness of the tools that we use in our hobby. My detector works fine, its great, it just feels cheap, thats all I'm saying. I have learned to live with the fact that If a squirell piss*s on it, I may well have to upgrade it to the tune of another grand or two. I mean cmon why isn't every detector at least water resistant? Like I said in an earlier post, a typical drugstore seven dollar flashlight certainly is. It often feels well made too. We put men on the moon (I'm pretty sure)......
    That $7.00 flashlight still leaks but it only costs the company $7.00 to replace it.... It takes a lot more to make a detector waterproof to just 10 feet..

I have owned Excals, Sov GT, Safari and Etrac I take proper steps to protect them and take care of them just like any electronic device and don't worry about them......

Most detectors will survive a dunking in fresh water, it's the saltwater that is destructive. ..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    El Padron

Oct 2010
    Southern California
    412 times
    If I accidentally sweat onto the face of my Minelab SGT, I'll never know if its actually working correctly ever again.

Well, I detect in Mexico, and for reasons that I have outlined in another thread I would like to supplement my Minelab Sovereign GT with a more ideal “south of the border “ unit. Well I think I’ve narrowed it down, and do you know what actually motivated me to choose the one I am considering? Well besides the good reputation and reputable manufacturer, I know that if a Mexican lifeguard or Policeman ever considers taking it from me, I will have a very good chance of getting it back. The reason I know this is because this particular detector, (One of the most well thought of and most popular made today,) looks and feels like about $4 worth of plastic coupled with $12 worth of cheap electronics. You see, even a Mexican Lifeguard or policeman who earns $600 dollars a month knows when he’s holding something that is incredibly cheaply made.

What are you doing?
    Metal detecting.
    Does this thing work?
    No just screwing around, really haven't found anything.
    Well your detector feels like a piece of junk, so enjoy your day amigo....
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Mar 10, 2014 at 09:41 AM.
    gunsil, goldkey and robby4570 like this.
    Why isn't every metal detector at least water resistant? A $7 drugstore flashlight is guaranteed for life to 10 feet. If a squirrel piss*s onto the face of my sov... well.... thats another forum.

Disclaimer: Most any and all artifacts or valuables mentioned have been found on property that was originally aquired in the 1847 United States of America invasion of Mexico.

United States Veteran, Headquarters Company, Law Enforcement Activity, Ft Campbell Ky. ARMY Military Police.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    31097 times
    If I accidentally sweat onto the face of my Minelab SGT, I'll never know if its actually working correctly ever again.

Well, I detect in Mexico, and for reasons that I have outlined in another thread I would like to supplement my Minelab Sovereign GT with a more ideal “south of the border “ unit. Well I think I’ve narrowed it down, and do you know what actually motivated me to choose the one I am considering? Well besides the good reputation and reputable manufacturer, I know that if a Mexican lifeguard or Policeman ever considers taking it from me, I will have a very good chance of getting it back. The reason I know this is because this particular detector, (One of the most well thought of and most popular made today,) looks and feels like about $4 worth of plastic coupled with $12 worth of cheap electronics. You see, even a Mexican Lifeguard or policeman who earns $600 dollars a month knows when he’s holding something that is incredibly cheaply made.

What are you doing?
    Metal detecting.
    Does this thing work?
    Well your detector feels like a piece of mierda, so enjoy your day amigo....
    I have been using Sov GT for over 6 years and never had issue and I hunt saltwater beaches with it.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......
    Fletch88 likes this.

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    31097 times

What are you doing?
    Metal detecting.
    Does this thing work?
    Well your detector feels like a piece of junk, so enjoy your day amigo....

2nd Amendment

USAF 1967-1971

No Expiration Date!

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    31097 times
    Please remember our language rules applies to all languages...

2nd Amendment

USAF 1967-1971

No Expiration Date!

us
    El Padron

Oct 2010
    Southern California
    412 times
    Ok..sorry
    DeepseekerADS likes this.
    Why isn't every metal detector at least water resistant? A $7 drugstore flashlight is guaranteed for life to 10 feet. If a squirrel piss*s onto the face of my sov... well.... thats another forum.

Disclaimer: Most any and all artifacts or valuables mentioned have been found on property that was originally aquired in the 1847 United States of America invasion of Mexico.

United States Veteran, Headquarters Company, Law Enforcement Activity, Ft Campbell Ky. ARMY Military Police.

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    3344 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    Why are some hookers $100.00 a shot, and others are $1,200.00 a shot? The end result is the same, but the ride is a lot different..
    This from personal experience Terry??
    Terry Soloman likes this.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
    2960 times
    simple reasons
    -VOLUME The more you sell, the cheaper you sell it. This is a low volume market.
    -Monopoly Most of the brands out there are owned by one company.
    -As stated above"GREED". If you buy a big name, you pay a big price. The pro pointer sells for $160 list. The HF pinpointer sells for $18. The both do the same thing and the HF's have fewer problems.

I guess you could say the mfgr's operate on the P T Barnum principal. Frank...
    Name:  hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  43.9 KB
    Keppy likes this.

Sep 2013
    Chattanooga Tennessee
    Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
    322 times
    Relic Hunting
    ElPadron , there are lots of hams on here. we know what you are saying about handheld vhf/uhf tranceivers. yes they got cheap. The hf rigs have not though
    el padron likes this.

us
    Apr 2009
    1597 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanM362 View Post

Exactly! Metal Detectors don't sell to the masses like TV's.
    Can you imagine every household having 2 or 3 detectors? Yikes!

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    31097 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankn View Post
    simple reasons
    -VOLUME The more you sell, the cheaper you sell it. This is a low volume market.
    -Monopoly Most of the brands out there are owned by one company.
    -As stated above"GREED". If you buy a big name, you pay a big price. The pro pointer sells for $160 list. The HF pinpointer sells for $18. The both do the same thing and the HF's have fewer problems.

I guess you could say the mfgr's operate on the P T Barnum principal. Frank...
    Name:  hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  43.9 KB
    The HF point pointer does not even compare to a quality pinpointer. I get over 6 inches depth with my Detectorpro Uniprobe, had it over 3 years with no problems and over 3+ inches on the Vulcan from Kellyco.

It is like comparing a Yugo to Mazda, Ford or Chevrolet...

2nd Amendment

USAF 1967-1971

No Expiration Date!

Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links