So... Please tell me Why does a metal detector cost $2499 again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people 50-60K$ for a Corvette or Shelby others pay 200k+$ for a Ferrari...

Are they really worth that much, to me no, to the owners yes... I don't judge people, if they want to spend that much money on a car and they can afford it that is their business it is worth it to them......

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because people will pay that much for it. It's nuts to pay that kind of money for a coin hunter, unless you just have money to burn. Look at the Tesoro Vaq, it will hit on anything a CTX will hit on, but it won't give you a pretty reading, which can be (and often is), wrong. How much is a Vaq? About $450.

Really??? I would just keep the Vaquero, all that CTX garb is non-sense anyway!!! :)

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you imagine every household having 2 or 3 detectors? Yikes!

There might be one for every household, Some have eight or nine....

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I still think the top of the line detectors are way overpriced. But they are certainly not Junk. I think 75% if not more of the price is pure profit being spread from manufacturer thru Dealer.

BINGO!!!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The HF point pointer does not even compare to a quality pinpointer. I get over 6 inches depth with my Detectorpro Uniprobe, had it over 3 years with no problems and over 3+ inches on the Vulcan from Kellyco. It is like comparing a Yugo to Mazda, Ford or Chevrolet... American by birth, Patriot by choice. I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you are overlooking something TH. All 4 vehicles will get you to work but the Yugo cost much less and got better mileage. I did replace the switch on my HF, It took 5 min and cost app. $2.50, but it is 3 years old and has worked consistently. I can adjust the range of pickup by turning a knob. I usually set it for 1". If it picked up at 6", it would be useless. It would go off before you even stuck it in the hole unless you use a #2 shovel to dig targets. Hay, just some pertinent facts! Frank... Rose on ice 700.jpg

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If used right and frequently, a detector will pay for itself and then make money. Not everyone has access to the treasure coast, but those that do can find lots of targets that will make a detector a cheap investment at any cost, as long as it lasts. Just like any tool, quality products will last longer, therefore saving money in the long run. And after it pays for itself many times over, you can still sell it for hardly any loss at all. How many other products can do the same.
Paying $2500, and using it a couple times a year is foolish. Paying $250 and using it every day, maybe it won't last, but it will pay for itself.
If I had a product that would make you money, I would sell it high too.

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There seems to be no shortage of people suffering from "sour grapes". They can't afford an E-Trac or CTX so therefore they MUST be overpriced junk, right? WRONG! If they weren't worth the price, everyone who bought one would have turned around and sold them off and bought something different. Soon the entire line would die as word spread. The truth is that almost every single person who uses a top of the line detector LOVES it's abilities to more accurately ID deep targets. What you keep referring to as "being built like junk" is what we call "light weight" so we can detect without fatigue. The days of steel control boxes died out decades ago for a very good reason!

Ok, in light of that, how do you explain the price of "LRLs"? Some of these go for $2000-$5000 and more. They've been around for decades and are still happily scamming new suckers.

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol! Lot of truth to that so I've heard!

Yeah, I've heard that, too. But here 1200 LEMPIRAS (around $58) is a lot. Or so I've heard...................

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Because people will pay that much for it. It's nuts to pay that kind of money for a coin hunter, unless you just have money to burn. Look at the Tesoro Vaq, it will hit on anything a CTX will hit on, but it won't give you a pretty reading, which can be (and often is), wrong. How much is a Vaq? About $450.

A lot of people will buy the more expensive model merely because they feel they must have the "latest and greatest". I remember when Minelab came out with the Explorer. EVERYBODY felt a real need for this machine that was light-years ahead of all others, regardless of it's high cost. Pretty soon they brought out the Explorer II (I think). Same thing, a rush to ditch the old outdated Explorers and scarf up on the latest. Same with Quattro. Greatest thing since air, but when the Safari came out, there were used Quattros all over the place. Never mind that it was nearly the same machine, but a different coil and higher price. My point is, the "old" Explorers, Quattros, etc., worked just as good as when they were the "best ever", but it's human nature (at least among many) to want whatever they're told is the best, newest, costliest, shiniest, etc.

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Very true.....Specialized uses and purpose aside, I think that if you have no problem with having spent $25,000 churning detectors it tends to be an uphill battle pertaining to justifying opportunity cost.....

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, but a typical $1200 hooker looks and feels like a $1200 hooker... a $100 hooker not so much..... (or so I've heard)
Turn the lights off and I'd bet they feel the same!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and some like me will pay $1500 for a '99 Ford Explorer :laughing7:

I don't buy new cars for that very reason. My last 6 vehicles have all been used. I haven't bought a new car in 25 years...

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you are overlooking something TH. All 4 vehicles will get you to work but the Yugo cost much less and got better mileage. I did replace the switch on my HF, It took 5 min and cost app. $2.50, but it is 3 years old and has worked consistently. I can adjust the range of pickup by turning a knob. I usually set it for 1". If it picked up at 6", it would be useless. It would go off before you even stuck it in the hole unless you use a #2 shovel to dig targets. Hay, just some pertinent facts! Frank... View attachment 957984

Check the breakdown rate of the Yugo...There is a reason they stop selling here...

Frankn you say if probe picked up at 6 inches it would be useless, that depends on how you hunt.

As example in a park I find a nice tone of a target using my detector..

I use my pinpointer to locate the EXACT location of target by moving probe over top of it.

I cut a 2 inch slice in sod, no plug. I probe down and touch target. If need be i can adjust the sensitivity down, can't do that with HF....

I use a long copper probe and a 7/8 inch wide digger to remove target, if needed I maybe return 1/2 Cup or less of dirt in hole. Many times I remove no dirt at all....

I pinch the slice in the sod back together, there is no visible sign I was ever there, it is impossible to see where I was....Never a single plug is dug...

I have had park employees stand and watch me recover items then tell me have a nice day and turn and leave...

This would not be possible using a HF pinpointer or any pinpointer only getting 1/2-1 inch...

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's purely a matter of numbers. There are undoubtedly more flat screen tvs going out of the Walmarts across the country daily, than detectors being sold every few months.
luvsdux

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I Bought a barely used Excal II in perfect condition with extra battery pod for $899. saved $600 8-)
Bought an Explorer SE Pro, Brand new for 999.00 with 3 year warranty! Saved $300 from list! 8-)
I saved money on both and they are a blast to use! Timing helps save you money!
Buying used really helps on those pricey detectors!
The reasons we have to pay so much at retail level is, so we can buy the company owners New Cars and Awesome Homes! Then, we can go detect for 1.25 in clad!:laughing7:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
A lot of people will buy the more expensive model merely because they feel they must have the "latest and greatest". I remember when Minelab came out with the Explorer. EVERYBODY felt a real need for this machine that was light-years ahead of all others, regardless of it's high cost. Pretty soon they brought out the Explorer II (I think). Same thing, a rush to ditch the old outdated Explorers and scarf up on the latest. Same with Quattro. Greatest thing since air, but when the Safari came out, there were used Quattros all over the place. Never mind that it was nearly the same machine, but a different coil and higher price. My point is, the "old" Explorers, Quattros, etc., worked just as good as when they were the "best ever", but it's human nature (at least among many) to want whatever they're told is the best, newest, costliest, shiniest, etc.
Oh how true i use the Quattro and Sovereign and to me they are as good as any of the top of the line detectors … And i got them used $500.00 for the Quattro and $600.00 for the Sovereign and they both came with 3 coils .. and to me they will do any thing any top of the line detector will do……. It seems a waste to buy a new detector now a days when so many good used ones out there ...

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the bottom line is.......If everyone quit buying the expensive detectors an only bought the lower end detectors....Then there would be a drastic drop in the prices of the high end as they would be setting in a warehouse collecting dust....But as someone earlier said ...u cant put the genie back in the bottle....which means people r still gonna buy the high end detectors...and yes some of it is buying into the hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread