Finding your finds!

Tokomo

Feb 23, 2007
Los Angeles CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
So I can locate all sorts of metal without a problem. The trouble I am running into is locating the things once I have dug them up! I dig out a chunk of earth to the depth it tells me and check the fresh dirt for the item again with my MD. If it is in the piece I removed I break it up and try to find it. It takes me forever to locate a dirty coin in all this mud. Any tips?

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
It sounds like you are doing OK so far. It will take a little time to get used to it. It is a process of elimination.
Think of your detector"s signal as another pair of eyes. You should be able to locate the object with your eyes closed , if you allow the detector to find the object for you.

1. Remove plug and check the hole and the plug seperately. Dont rely solely on the depth reading, as there may be more than one object present .

2. (a). If the signal is in the hole, you can use your hand to scoop out the loose dirt and check it by running your hand across the coil. No signal? Place that dirt next to the hole and use digger to loosen more dirt in hole, checking each time until find is made.

(b). If the signal is in the plug, try not to tear the plug into shreds if possible. Using your hands, start by aggitating it and check the dirt that is coming off of it with detector.

3. After removing object, replace plug and then check that spot again, as many times I have received another signal after replacing the disturbed dirt.

I hope this helps! We all have times like this on occasion. Good Luck! HH

OP
OP
T

Tokomo

Feb 23, 2007
Los Angeles CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Good stuff thanks! I think that the soft mud is slowing me down is all. I cant believe how many things I found!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pinpointers are timesavers

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
All the above advise is great. I'll add that you said you break up the chunk you dig up. I do this too, sometimes beating it on a rock. When the signal disappears after beating search an area up to 5 or so feet around cause' thats where your dirt old dime will be.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep at it. I don't use a pinpointer myself. Here's my method. Cut the plug. Cut the cone off the plug leaving one to two inches of soil attached to the grass. Break apart the rest of the cone one half at a time and scan each half in front of the coil. Find object. Fill hole. Get up slowly.... ;)

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Sometimes items that you have disc out will beep while in the ground. Then when you disturb the ground there is no beep. This is normal. When this happens turn the disc down and try again. I will say it too - pinpointers are great.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MEinWV said:
It sounds like you are doing OK so far. It will take a little time to get used to it. It is a process of elimination.
Think of your detector"s signal as another pair of eyes. You should be able to locate the object with your eyes closed , if you allow the detector to find the object for you.

1. Remove plug and check the hole and the plug seperately. Dont rely solely on the depth reading, as there may be more than one object present .

2. (a). If the signal is in the hole, you can use your hand to scoop out the loose dirt and check it by running your hand across the coil. No signal? Place that dirt next to the hole and use digger to loosen more dirt in hole, checking each time until find is made.

(b). If the signal is in the plug, try not to tear the plug into shreds if possible. Using your hands, start by aggitating it and check the dirt that is coming off of it with detector.

3. After removing object, replace plug and then check that spot again, as many times I have received another signal after replacing the disturbed dirt.

I hope this helps! We all have times like this on occasion. Good Luck! HH

I agree with everthing WV said, I also would like to add, Use a Pinpointer. I use a SunRay Probe on my ACE 250, Whites XLT and Mine Lab Sovereign. It costs a little more than most probes or pinpointers, but it is the best. It works off of your detectors batteries and can be hear through your headset, you are using a headset aren't you.

I am including a picture of my SunRay Probe on my ACE 250, the coin is a V-nickel that I found very deep in the ground. I didn't have to dig a big wide hole because I was using the probe and it told me where the coin was.

Good Luck, Ringfinder

Attachments

• v nickel on my glove with ACE 250.jpg
    v nickel on my glove with ACE 250.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 126
  • v nickel on my glove with ACE 250.jpg
    v nickel on my glove with ACE 250.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 117

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread