I dont know where to begin...

Bubbalaska

Mar 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know where to begin...

Please excuse my absolute ignorance, but I'm very interested in gem hunting, but don't have any idea what I need to do to get started. I moved to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho and I know this is a great area for gem hunting, but what should I do to get started? What sort of materials do I need, what sort of reading materials should I dig into, and does anyone have suggestions as to where I can begin digging, panning or searching?
Again, I apologize for my ignorance in this regard, but any and all info is appreciated.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't help you because I have no experience in gem hunting. I do think T-Net here has a gem hunting forum. I know the weather channel has a show where people hunt gems, I find it interesting.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just did a google search and there is tons of information about gem hunting in Idaho. Try "gem hunting Idaho", and you will get a bunch. I would certainly look for a local place who can teach you to to recognize the gems you intend to hunt for, the rocks they are found in, and the techniques to get them out before you head to the hills.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you read the Rocks/Gems ? You might find some answers to your questions. :thumbsup:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are some good suggestions , to which I would add - find out if there is a local gem and mineral show of any kind where you can
interact with people who are knowledgeable about this . Research at the public library about gems and minerals in Idaho . Online research
is an amazing way to get started because it can prompt so many different avenues - some of which are bound to be rewarding ! I would
also get to know as many local "old timers" as possible - many times they are a treasure trove of knowledge - and they are lonely and
would likely share a lot with you . Good Luck ! (I believe there's good gold panning in parts of Idaho !)

OP
OP
B

Bubbalaska

Mar 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm gonna start researching and see if I can connect with someone in the area.
Much appreciated : )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions