CZ3D vs AT Pro: Not surprizing to me at all..

Smooth Blend

Nov 30, 2013
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari w/ 11"DD coil, 10"x12"SEF, 15"WOT coil, Garrett Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very impressed with the cz3d. thanks for the comparison, I enjoyed watching it.

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope my cz70 pro is nice and deep like the 3d seems to be.

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
The CZ70 has some advantages by searching in "no notch" and just hearing the tones. It gets really good depth that way, and especially on salt beaches or high Fe soil. Don't waste your money on the 10.5 coil though, an extra inch is not worth the extra weight. The cz3d has a tight edge on cherry-picking, but the cz70 has the edge on relic depths..

Last edited:
OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
The cz's are not designed to need a DD search coil, but the F series is.. With a dual frequency setup, it alone is all that is needed. I'll also add that they don't need a coaxial or stacked coil either..just a concentric

Last edited:

Loophole

Mar 12, 2014
Greencastle Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab sovereign by
Cad
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After swinging a minelab sovereign gt I just got my cz3d last week and I must say I am impressed!

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The CZ series are underestimated detectors because they have been around for over 20 years and probably considered older technology. CZ owners know the difference...Would never part with my CZ5.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the fisher sound like and unstable bounty hunter to me

liftloop

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
You have to wonder why the author of the vid didn't know how to ground balance the garrett or at least didn't show any info on how he did it or what the balance number was. I beleive he said "Got the garrett ground balanced...as good as I can anyway".
I run the at pro and ground balancing is a huge factor on deeper targets.

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
CZ's are notoriously premium for handling bad ground better than most other detectors. The AT Pro here would cause me to start screaming at it when I got into the real nasty stuff, especially the black sand/salt beaches, and they aren't easy to ground balance in it either. Beside that, the two frequencies used in the CZ are ideal on salt beaches, high iron, or not, and even Garrett mentions that the AT Pro was not designed to be a good salt beach machine. Most Florida beach hunters know that too.

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own both the atp & cz-d3. Both great machines. Different tools for different jobs but there is NO doubt the 3d is the deeper!

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and ATMax, 8.5 x 11, 5 x 8 & a Super Sniper - Pro-pointer.
Fisher F75 LTD, XP Deus - 11", Garrett AT and AT ZLINK pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I own both the atp & cz-d3. Both great machines. Different tools for different jobs but there is NO doubt the 3d is the deeper!

How do we know? He didn't raise the At Pro up off the ground at all. I think it would of least been an even match, considering the conditions.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CZ's are notoriously premium for handling bad ground better than most other detectors. The AT Pro here would cause me to start screaming at it when I got into the real nasty stuff, especially the black sand/salt beaches, and they aren't easy to ground balance in it either. Beside that, the two frequencies used in the CZ are ideal on salt beaches, high iron, or not, and even Garrett mentions that the AT Pro was not designed to be a good salt beach machine. Most Florida beach hunters know that too.
The Garrett video says that while the AT pro was not designed for saltwater, it can be used successfully with the proper settings...it doesn't say "was not designed to be a good salt beach machine".

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do we know? He didn't raise the At Pro up off the ground at all. I think it would of least been an even match, considering the conditions.
Yeah, I noticed that when the AT hit solid in standard mode, he didn't lift the coil to see how far it would hit. He only had the CZ at half sens and the AT wide open...maybe the CZ is unstable with the sens any higher?

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys are funny! Look, I'm a big proponent of the ATP. I love it. I stick up for it against the hordes of haters but there is NO WAY it's as deep as the 3D. You may want it to be, but it just isn't. Instead of speculating and hoping, you could buy one and find out for yourselves. Everyone should have a CZ anyway.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
You can pick up the at pro for around $400. Where can I get the CZ3D for that amount or just a tad more? I hear that they hit hard on rusty nails but the at pro has fooled me many a times as well. Hey, I'm succesful with the at pro but bought a minelab explorere se pro because I wanted more depth. I find deeper coins with the garrett so I'm in the market!
Should I get the CZ3D, the Dues, the T2 LTD???

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You misquoted my implication Lookingdown. I didn't quote Garret, all I did was to imply what the Garrett site indicated. Quotes have these little things on either side of the sentence (""), mine didn't. The English language is the most complete, the most inclusive language on the planet because it comes from all other languages. I know, I speak five of them, and I have a proven, tested MA in English, so I think I have my bases covered. If, as you "quoted" me saying something (I merely wrote) was a quote, that would have been a good argument for you, but that's not what I did, that's what you quoted me as quoting, a totally different situation. However, although metal manufacturers such as Whites and their claims about being able to (see what's in the ground before you dig it up) is, in truth, not exactly truth, neither would be a claim from Garrett about the AT Pro's capabilities on (all) salt beaches. Beaches with high black sand compositions are really rough on the single freq AT Pro. . All metal detector manufacturers fudge a little on their claims, and we all know it.

But where the rubber REALLY meets the road about this discussion is; I personally will tell you that regardless of (any) of its settings "the AT Pro sucks on my salt/black sand beaches here and in most other high minerization soil around here too, compared to cz's, but not all cz's", and that (is) a quote. If I brought only two detectors with me to the ocean here and one was an AT Pro, and the other was a cz3d or a cz5, or a cz70, cz20, cz 21, the AT Pro wouldn't even get a chance to get itself turned on because of all the black sand here, and the magnetite and hematite would ruin its day too. I would have no reason to waste my time with it when good beach hunting is waiting for me and my more productive and more successful CZ down on the beach, and especially if I only have 3 hours to hunt there. In Texas or Florida the black sand and other minerals and other Fe's are much less common, so the ATP can deal with it, but that's a totally different subject of discussion.

Always remember folks, that a quote is not a quote until it has these little things on either side of it " ", otherwise it is just writing and has multiple interpretation possibilities for its intentions or inferences.. NOTE: I've had other people misquote me too, as they gave also done to other people, but sometimes things just happen, even if done unintentionally. Thanks for helping me explain that a bit better Lookingdown for the other readers on here. Peace :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Fella knows what he is talking about..

dale68

Jan 12, 2009
I had a los banos cz5 for 18 years, its deep(2 frequency-5&15 khz) because it' dual freq it'll do better in bad ground than a single freq machine. Anything over 4.5 sens gets lots of noise(not usably deeper). It would false on iron and indicate coin unless run in zero disc. The salt mode works good, its pretty sweep speed sensitive, and dont lift coil at end of sweep, it'll beep at u. It's built like a tank(I've hung the box around my neck &used it in shallow water for many years with good success. I believe the (so i'veheard )the C3D is a cz5 with an id shift for older and deeper targets. The id screen is in different order on the c3d vs the cz5.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread