xlt to minelab?

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
I know probably a thousand people have asked this question....so here it goes anyway. I am an XLT user, have been for about 13 years. I have one of the first XLTs on the market. I've found lots of good stuff and am good with the machine. Unfortunate that it now needs replaced. The electronics are about shot and I have gotten pretty good at fixing it myself, though I think its about on its last leg.
Ive used the DFX and hunted with others who use it. I dont think its worth the extra money as I dont believe it has any better depth. I'm not here to fight with anyone about this, just my opinion based on my experience.
I am thinking about a Minelab Explorer. Ive only hunted with a couple of people who have used one, though they didnt really do any better than I did. I hear that they have a little better depth than the spectrum series. Is there anyone out there who has used BOTH detectors EXTENSIVELY? What is your opinion? Would it be worth the extra bucks to purchase a new SE or would the older minelab or explorer II be just as good. Or would it just be better to buy another XLT.
I think they are all GREAT detectors. I, like everyone else, am always looking for that little, extra edge to get to the good stuff.
Thanks.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I have a DFX and 2 EX 2's. I started with the DFX and started reading about the Explorers and the depth. They are deeper, easier to use (you can make patterns)more stable and generally find more good deepies. I hunt with a friend who uses a DFX and I can go over his ground and dig targets he missed that were too deep for the machine. The Explorers are heavier, unbalanced and the display is hard to read but they are my go to machines. After a while you just listen to the tones and don't need to see the display
There are a bunch of EX 2's for sale now that the new SE came out and they can be had for a good price with extras. You will need a pinpointer and the sun ray is the way to go. 90% of the time I swing a 15 inch WOT coil and with that I not only get good coverage but it goes really deep. I also use a swingy thingy to help with the weight. 02
HH

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
I agree that the Explrer SE is deeper than the XLT however ; I am not so sure you will like it since you have used an XLT for so long. The SE is not a detector that you can generally just jump into hunting with. Some take right to it but most have to take time to get the operation down. If you are willing to learn and understand it then the SE is better otherwise get a new XLT E series as it is the same as your XLT and you'll slide right into the drivers seat with it. Let me know if you need any more help.
TonyinCT
www.tcmetaldetectors.com

OP
OP
rebelLT

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
What is the standard coil on the minelabs? I hunt sometimes 8 or 10 hours at a stretch, sometimes in very trashy areas. If I change coils I normally drop to a smaller coil due to trash. Would the standard coil still afford better depth than the XLT? I have no problem swinging one around physicaly, I just dont know that I hunt enough trash free areas to use one. I dont think I would have a problem learning a new detector. I even switched for a while years ago to the CZ-7 when it first came out did pretty good with it. Thanks.

RebelLT

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
The standard coil is the 10" . You can get several different coils from Minelab or Sunray or even Coiltek. The standard coil on the Minelab SE is depper than the standard XLT coil.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an original minelab explorer and explorer2.
I agree with everyone else,these are great machines and i would like to add that i have slogged mine thru mud rain ect..and it still works great.
And definately go with the sunray pinpointer..saves a lot of work!!!!!

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
you have a year on my xlt.when I upgrade down the road (even though I never used a minelab) it will be the dfx.I will be more familiar with the dfx.I will add a dd eclipse coil
to be in my opinion (I never used a minelab) near depth performance of an explorer.I
read alot of good and boasting things about minelab but I trust whites and I personaly would upgrade a white,s first.if I was mister money bags I would have both ;D .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread