Found during metal detecting, but not by metal detecting.. still count?

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree with your wife........"happy wife = happy life ;-)

While that is one of the laws of physics, I would say that you went metal detecting/treasure hunting. And if you are like me, you use all your senses; sound, sight, etc to recover treasure. Thus it counts.

I count as a Return a small tangled up dog in the woods that i ran across while metal detecting. I was able to return him to his elderly owner who had lost him the previous evening on a walk due to a phone # on his tags.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've struggled with that myself, as I've found many coins on the surface while out detecting, several bills, and a couple of rings. The way I figure it, if I find it when I'm detecting it counts as a "find," as I wouldn't have found it had I not been out detecting, and if I hadn't seen it by eye, my detector would have found it (except for the bills.) However, when I go out to the store or wherever else, I almost always find change, on the floor, in a Coinstar reject bin (found a couple of wheat pennies in one just the other day), in parking lots, etc. I keep those separate from my detecting finds. I try to find coins every time I go out, and I almost always do. Right now I can't see the bottom of a gold pan I've been tossing my "daily surface finds" into. There isn't nearly as many items in that pan than what I find detecting, but it is surprising how much, and it adds up. I'll change it all in at the end of the year and see what the tally is.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your a treasure hunter, your always in treasure hunting mode. There is no turning it off. Eyeball find, detector, coin roll hunting, pocket change, yard sell, etc.
Last year my one and only gold find, a tiny stud earring, was an eyeball find when I picked up the detector and walked across a sidewalk. I counted It just the same. The detector would not have been able to find It on the sidewalk because of the rebar.

joee5

Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A surface find. As long as your had your MD in hand, it counts :)

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Found a quarter today on the surface while detecting. Wife said it didn't count (good natured ribbing, not a jab). What's the consensus on this? ???

I fought with this dilemma the first couple of times it happened because I'm such an OCD stats guy. I finally decided that I would count it toward whatever detector I was using at the time for most of the reasons already stated. I made the decision and now that it's been made, I'll stick with it forever. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions