Mine lab excaliber has new batteries but is not working.

bmontymi

Greenie
Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can hear a click when I turn the detector on but am not getting a good signal when i pass the coil over any object. It was working correctly before it's ride in my luggage on the plane. This detector has flown many times without a problem. I replaced the batteries, cleaned the connections. It does get a signal sometimes but it is not a good solid signal. I'm on vacation and planned on treasure hunting for two weeks. What a bummer! If you have any ideas please help. No mine lab dealers where I am.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, sounds like it finally died from one too many baggage monkeys throwing it around.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I can hear a click when I turn the detector on but am not getting a good signal when i pass the coil over any object. It was working correctly before it's ride in my luggage on the plane. This detector has flown many times without a problem. I replaced the batteries, cleaned the connections. It does get a signal sometimes but it is not a good solid signal. I'm on vacation and planned on treasure hunting for two weeks. What a bummer! If you have any ideas please help. No mine lab dealers where I am.

If you hear a click when you turn it on and some indicators show the computer part is on. Your problem is in the coil connection line from coil to computer. Check these connections!!! Frank... 111-1 profile.jpg

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you hear a click when you turn it on and some indicators show the computer part is on. Your problem is in the coil connection line from coil to computer. Check these connections!!! Frank...

Not necessarily. An impact to any one of the knobs could have damaged the pot. A hard knock could have cracked any one of the solder joints. A bad o-ring could have let in a drop of saltwater in the past and it has finally corroded a spot on the board to the point of failure. Non of these are vacation fixable.

Any time a detector suddenly goes from working fine to not working, something major has happened.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well, I have got to say this. I have been repairing electronic equipment since the late 50's when a started a radio repair business. There are two types of pots (Variable Resistors) one has a wire wound loop and a wiper arm and the other has a carbon/graphite ring and wiper. I have never seen a mechanical failure of either, only burnouts from over voltage. The connection tabs on them are usually fairly heavy, in fact a lot of the newer equipment has them soidered to a board.
The bad '0' ring is a possibility, but may be field repairable and is the area I first suggested. I still say the coil to computer box connections are most likely. Did you check them yet? Frank...
111-1 profilecracked.jpg

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Bmonty can you shoot some video of how it sounds when turned on and over targets....that would really help, and I am with Jason, it would be a tuff fix even for me if I were on vacation...

And

Jason is correct, this is a common issue with the Excalibur on the Discriminate knob pot and the volume Knob pot...that's why minelabs started years ago hot gluing them but it still happens but less I believe....one sharp blow to the knobs on the control pod and it will break loose the 3 solder joints to the PCB. I just repaired one that I had done some modifi work to and the box got banged up bad during shipping, notice the box is soaking wet also. It was a hard repair to diagnose because two of the three solder joints were just hairline cracks, the machine would still work but erratic. I only found it because I started replace pots... here are some pictures of the hot glue, and the other 5 connection pot/pcb which seems to be less of an issue, as you can see in one of the pics one has been repaired, not my job but mine did not look much better because you have to restore the connection and all that is left is the thin copper printed circuit.
OBN0148.jpg OBN0154.jpg OBN0153.jpg

OP
OP
B

bmontymi

Greenie
Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you hear a click when you turn it on and some indicators show the computer part is on. Your problem is in the coil connection line from coil to computer. Check these connections!!! Frank... View attachment 961731

"Will check the coil connection . Thank you all for your prompt responses. I don' t believe I have enough knowledge to tear this apart and fix it if it is the pots. Since it is an underwater machine, I'd probably ruin it for good. Thank you all again. "

OP
OP
B

bmontymi

Greenie
Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Will check the coil connection . Thank you all for your prompt responses. I don' t believe I have enough knowledge to tear this apart and fix it if it is the pots. Since it is an underwater machine, I'd probably ruin it for good. Thank you all again. "

"My husband took off the pinpoint knob and put it back on. Can't believe this solved the problem but it seems as if it did. He is running out to the beach and I'll keep you posted. He never would have tried the pulling the knobs without your encouragement. Thanks again!!!"

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'm glad that he is back up and running FOR NOW, but means there is a bad connection on the pot and it will fail again. Keep your fingers crossed that it survives the rest of the vacation!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would run and hurdle any thing in my way of detecting

if that happen to me i would be sick until it was fix may be his next find will buy him a new detector
lots of luck

liftloop

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well, I'm glad that he is back up and running FOR NOW, but means there is a bad connection on the pot and it will fail again. Keep your fingers crossed that it survives the rest of the vacation!
Well, based on the way it recovered, I will have to agree with Jason. Your troubles have just begun. That connection to the pot has either never been soldered ( an over site in production that I have seen before) or the solider connection was weak to start with and broke. It's a shame, My detectors, for over 45+ years have never broken down. Is quality slipping? Frank...
111-2 700 head of old man.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bmontymi

Greenie
Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trip to the water was not good. I believe you are correct and some solder broke loose. As soon as the detector got wet it was erratic again. The problem seems to be with the pinpoint knob. He is confined to the beach after it drys out. Thanks again for your help.

OP
OP
B

bmontymi

Greenie
Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trip to the water was not good. I believe you are correct and some solder broke loose. As soon as the detector got wet it was erratic again. The problem seems to be with the pinpoint knob. He is confined to the beach after it drys out. Thanks again for your help.

We sent the metal detector to mine lab for repair. The sent it back with a note saying they no longer support the first generation Excalibur. Go figure!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call Kellyco and check with their Minelab repair department, sometimes they can repair the sword excals with parts they have..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Being it is a Sword model I would call Kellyco and ask for Dave or his brother like TH said. :thumbsup:
Parts are around for this model and some interchangeable.

As soon as the detector got wet it was erratic again
Constant erratic would be broken solder connections. Bad coil..in and out of the salt water......Getting wet then erratic could be a few different things, leaky pod, bad o rings..but the more likely for that is a bad coil wire or coil. Best thing to do is take it into the saltwater slowly and see what point it does start to false. Submerge the coil first, give it a few minutes then slowly walk it in to just before submerging the pod, give that a few minutes before being to fully submerged.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread