Rude people

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out today and I was detecting along the sidewalks and ditches.

Along one road, I immediately found a wheat and then rounded the corner and found an interesting and old padlock. on the way back to my car a lady pulled in the driveway across the road from me and she asked me what i was doing while I was standing knee deep in the ditch. She had a scowl and I told her that I was detecting and then she asked me what I was looking for. I told her that I was finding some coins and cans (I pick up trash while I hunt).

She stated the obvious by telling me that all the houses on the OPPOSITE side of the road is private property and I couldn't be on it. I then told her that I was staying on the side of the main road and she said OK and went on her way. I started to call it quits and then I noticed that she was standing inside her garage staring at me. When I looked up she moved back and then as I was getting in my car she came back out, and literally she was staring a hole in me. I hollered at her that I was leaving because I didn't want to disturb her anymore.

I guess as you can tell that I am venting this out. I can understand folks being protective, but not downright ugly about things. I wonder if she would have griped at me if I was just walking in front of her house along on the sidewalk and road.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mam do you own this property I,m detecting on? Excuse me "your" property ends where exactly?But why would you say that ,are you trying to hide something illegal over there at your house? I think I may have heard about something over here a while back maybe I had better look into it when I get home, was it a missing neighbors pet mam? ,what did you say your name was mam?Can I just have one picture before you go?Oh I hope I don,t find something yucky now dang it.
I wanted to have a chat with a mouth that I missed due to wearing headphones years back my partner told me after she was gone so all she got was ignored.. I will be ready if the chance arises to return that ,something sour in the fridge smell looking attitude. Even if the mouth wants to call for help. Just leave me detect and I,ll leave you to leave.

Last edited:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't get intimidated by someone staring at me .. I don't pay them a bit of attention. Lots of people stare at the unknown. One time I did ask a guy why he was staring so hard, to which he replied, "The only way I can see something for as long as I want to see it, is to stare at it" .. I said "good point" and kept on getting it.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
You know you're not doing anything wrong and what the laws are concerning where the property owners rights stop. Buttt... what the old woman sees is a total stranger in HER neighborhood doing something that seems out of place. Neighbors looking out for eachother and questioning things that aren't normal every day activities is not a bad thing if it happens to be your neighborhood. I probably would have given her the short version of why we do what we do and asked her if she'd like to give it a try. You open more doors with a smile than you do by lecturing someone on what your "rights" are. That's just me though.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
in such circumstances I take my shirt off and the ladies never complain...

Last edited:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you should of said
now you tell me about that side of the road it's all ready been detected
and all the silver left with my partner

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know you're not doing anything wrong and what the laws are concerning where the property owners rights stop. Buttt... what the old woman sees is a total stranger in HER neighborhood doing something that seems out of place. Neighbors looking out for eachother and questioning things that aren't normal every day activities is not a bad thing if it happens to be your neighborhood. I probably would have given her the short version of why we do what we do and asked her if she'd like to give it a try. You open more doors with a smile than you do by lecturing someone on what your "rights" are. That's just me though.

You got a point about someone watching out, but I think that it just bothered me because it went a little overboard with her staring and I felt like she thought I was doing something illegal. Usually, I am good about striking up a conversation with people and getting to know them. I am going to remember and just maybe say, "I am digging up coins, do you want to try?" and see what the reaction will be.

Sometimes I take things personal and I have to realize that it is more about me taking things wrong then what the person intended.

Last edited:

Flounder

Mar 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carry some Jehovah Witness literature with you to "hand out":

"What are you doing?"

"I'm hunting for new members for the Jehovah Witnesses"

They will turn and run without looking back...

fmfdoc

Mar 14, 2014
Mc David, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like to, periodically, smile and wave! Your polite, and it drives them crazy!! LOL

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, here is my $.02 worth.

First, you are dealing with someone who knows what is going on in the neighborhood as it is almost a form of entertainment to them. I realize the American culture has degraded to where this type of treatment is common and should be expected.

However, since she was that close, why not make friends. Show her some finds, talk to her about the history of the neighborhood. Heck, a lady like that can probably tell you all of the rumors and give leads on where to look.

Let that person get to know you as a decent human and not as 'stranger danger.'

Patrick

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kill 'em with kindness, always! Just seems to irritate rude people more. Obviously, be non-confrontational. ;)
Peace

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I wear a large set of headphones and I'm thinking about installing antennas on 'em! Maybe a little odor of skunk would keep her away!

Hilarious Jeff-g!

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could always get a jacket with a radioactive symbol or maybe the words 'bomb squad.'

LOL

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could always get a jacket with a radioactive symbol or maybe the words 'bomb squad.'

LOL

Its bad....But Ive actually bought a "City of Fort Worth" shirt at a Goodwill I frequent....I havent worn it yet...But i bought it for the purpose of hunting certain areas around here..Now I would never actually tell someone that I do work for the city, because its not worth lying about...But I figure it will keep (some) people off my back....most the time people think im looking for property markers

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HA! I'm doing that.I'm getting some white coveralls with a radioactive signal and a pair of green ones with bomb squad. Then if someone comes over and before they start talking I'll just say "excuse me ma'am you need to clear the area and then put on one pair of the cover alls and keep detecting. ha ha No I wouldn't really do that. I would tell her to come and check out my finds and ask if she wanted to give it a go....detecting I mean.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I noticed you said "shirt" and not 'pants". :laughing7::tongue3:???
LMAO!

Now now, going out in public without pants is frowned upon by Law enforcement ( Learned the hard way). Besides ya gotta give em something to work for.

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HA! I'm doing that.I'm getting some white coveralls with a radioactive signal and a pair of green ones with bomb squad. Then if someone comes over and before they start talking I'll just say "excuse me ma'am you need to clear the area and then put on one pair of the cover alls and keep detecting. ha ha No I wouldn't really do that. I would tell her to come and check out my finds and ask if she wanted to give it a go....detecting I mean.

Better yet, do the whole bio suit for chemical and biological contaminants. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread