YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A long time ago I read a technique for improving the appearance and durability of iron relics. The idea was to scrub them good and let them dry thoroughly. When dry, spray with clear acrylic to seal the surface. I tried this a couple times, and it does work. Mine felt clean and did not leave rust flakes or stains on everything they touched. Gloss acrylic looked wet and a little artificial, but matte spray looked more natural.

Anyone ever try this? I would not try it on anything of great historical value, but for general collector use it might be quite useful.

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds ok, but how do you get the coating off, im thinking wax would be a good substitute to preserve iron maybe. Or submerge in a jar of mineral oil. Or submerged w d 40 will preserve iron too.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's how I do it. After electrolysis I spray with WD-40. When dry, I coat with lacquer. If the iron is not completely free from rust after electrolysis, small spots of rust will appear after several years.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi.
Please search YouTube for Beau Ouimette, (Aquachigger). He has many great videos. In particular, search for his video entitled, (Preserving Iron Relics: Hot Wax Treatment).
Peace

ODA 226

Jan 5, 2014
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett Sea Hunter MK II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Go Find 60
Land and Sea Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just remove as much rust as I can and then boil the object, horseshoes for example, for 10 minutes in cooking oil, flipping the shoe over after 5 minutes.

This removes all O2 from the object, prevents it from rusting and turns it a very natural black color. Cheap too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions