worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You have to make a choice,other wise you'll never find anything:laughing7:. Parks and schools hold some NICE stuff,along with the crap,MAKE THE TIME,you will be glad you did!!

GOD Bless

Chris

OP
OP
ilzho

ilzho

Feb 28, 2014
Grand Prairie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True. I have a new Whites pin pointer to try out as well.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
get permission to hunt the oldest homes in your town.. you will be glad you did

OP
OP
ilzho

ilzho

Feb 28, 2014
Grand Prairie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The high school I have permission to search was built in 1969 and the surrounding parks aren't really that old, but I know that it just takes one pocket spill or a lost item to make a good find. I usual search in all metal mode as I like to clean an area of junk. It's a lot of work, no doubt.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your a better person than I am! The schools I search have so much trash I have to ground balance before I go on school property because there isn't a trash free spot big enough to lower my standard coil to ground balance!
These kids never use a trash can! They also lose some gold and silver!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
....... highway construction......

"Highway construction" ? Why would you hunt highway construction ? Do you mean old-town sidwalk tearouts? or old town building demolitions? I can not imagine highway construction (even an "old" highway) being worthwhile to hunt. Because in the course of grinding down/out the pavement to put in a layer of new, they do not go down beneath the DG (decomposed granite compaction original bed) layer.

OP
OP
ilzho

ilzho

Feb 28, 2014
Grand Prairie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old roads that used by used by wagons, now they are building heavy duty highways. They are digging close to 20-30 feet. I know where the dirt is being discarded. Will I find a cache? Probably not, but it can't hurt.
"Highway construction" ? Why would you hunt highway construction ? Do you mean old-town sidwalk tearouts? or old town building demolitions? I can not imagine highway construction (even an "old" highway) being worthwhile to hunt. Because in the course of grinding down/out the pavement to put in a layer of new, they do not go down beneath the DG (decomposed granite compaction original bed) layer.

OP
OP
ilzho

ilzho

Feb 28, 2014
Grand Prairie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's see I found 4 earser ends, pieces of fencing, a few nails, and .59c. Also a ton of trash and the dirt is extremely hard.

Your a better person than I am! The schools I search have so much trash I have to ground balance before I go on school property because there isn't a trash free spot big enough to lower my standard coil to ground balance!
These kids never use a trash can! They also lose some gold and silver!

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit the parks first. No one really bugs ya there and its a good place to break one's self into an area. If you have limited time it'll probably be the
most rewarding *sans a lot of trash*. Schools are another good bet as long as there are no restrictions *ie No Trespassing signs or other ordinances *
but the rewards are going to be spaced out more. As to construction sites those will take time to research and more than likely you wont be able to
access them due to liability laws... however construction inside towns and cities can be rewarding in my experience... expect to see other detectorists though.
For a quick fix try sidewalks to the curb.
Focus on an area, make a plan and do it. :)

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you can only hunt on weekends it makes sense to hunt school grounds when the kids won't be there or anywhere else that is usually closed on the weekends.

L

l2hunt

School grounds are my favorite places to hunt, I usually find an average of ten dollars worth of clad. Like parks too. HH

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Do you know any old-timers? Particularly the ones that were born and raised in your town? Ask them where they'd go if they were to take up metal detecting. Their answers may surprise you. At the very least, they might be able to add a bit of detail to your research. I personally enjoy hunting a site much more when I have a few stories with which to place its recorded history in some sort of context.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
old roads that used by used by wagons, now they are building heavy duty highways. They are digging close to 20-30 feet..

20 to 30 ft. DEEP ? Or "20 to 30 ft" wide and around ? I can't imagine why any project on a freeway would need to dig "20 to 30 ft. deep" haha, so I'm assuming you meant 20-30 ft. around, or distance, or width, etc... Right? Ok then, what I'm saying still stands then: odds are, no good. Because they will not grind out deeper than the DG layer. And so even though it may *look* like dirt, yet when you get closer and look, it's not native dirt.

There are exceptions though. I *have* seen where an old-town road project did go below DG layers into the yester-year dirt road layer. And yes, have gotten seated coins when that happened. But that was because it was heavily retail/commercial district (saloon row, old board-&-batton districts, etc...), not simply "any old freeway between towns".

OP
OP
ilzho

ilzho

Feb 28, 2014
Grand Prairie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me. 20-30ft deep in some areas. They are redoing an interstate and in some parts they are really digging deep, not the whole area, but in some areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread