Greenie
Mar 14, 2014
Belize
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. I am new to metal detecting. I recently got a Garrett AT Pro and did a first test today. I live in Belize, Central America. My country has never been detected and I beleive there are many things to be discovered. Well today I didi my forst test to see what I could find. I went to the old part of the city in a yard where there was once an old colonial home. The place is very trashy and I will need to do some more research on my detector settings. Anyhow. My first find on my first hunt was a big i dont know what it is. Maybe someone can help me to identifiy it. I found it by a tree stump about 2 feet down. I taught it was a cannonball or cannon but no its a pump looking thing. Anyhow know what it is? If any one is interested in coming down to Belize let me know we could do some good hunting down here.

Attachments

• image-132491580.jpg
    image-132491580.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 317

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
hbriverol

hbriverol

Greenie
Mar 14, 2014
Belize
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I cant seem to find a picture of it anywhere. Just have to keep searching.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
were you hunting in all metal

OP
OP
hbriverol

hbriverol

Greenie
Mar 14, 2014
Belize
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. The area I was hunting is an old colonial area. I know for a fact there use to be cannons and a fort in that area. So I was hoping for a cannonball or old musket.

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take and post a few more photos please. Close ups, perhaps a tag on it somewhere, a company name, year etc.
I'm with jeff_of_pa at this point. Does appear to be the bottom of an old stove.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An old stove or pump…..can't think of many uses for an old stove in Belize, perhaps the mountains or on a ship.

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my first thought was stove. pretty neat for a first find. Thanks for sharing and hope to more pics of your finds (and of Belize). HH

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It looks like an old bucket a day coal hot water heater. I saw one in a relatives home in Georgia many years ago. It would provide hot water all day from a bucket of coal. It had a top like that which held the water. That's my best guess, Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bucket a Day Coal Water heater.jpg Unknown.jpg

I was only able to find one photo of a bucket a day coal hot water heater that was of an old one. Seems like a possibility. Perhaps a lot of it has corroded away and/or different design

Last edited:

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi. I am new to metal detecting. I recently got a Garrett AT Pro and did a first test today. I live in Belize, Central America. My country has never been detected and I beleive there are many things to be discovered. Well today I didi my forst test to see what I could find. I went to the old part of the city in a yard where there was once an old colonial home. The place is very trashy and I will need to do some more research on my detector settings. Anyhow. My first find on my first hunt was a big i dont know what it is. Maybe someone can help me to identifiy it. I found it by a tree stump about 2 feet down. I taught it was a cannonball or cannon but no its a pump looking thing. Anyhow know what it is? If any one is interested in coming down to Belize let me know we could do some good hunting down here.

I have no idea what it is, but it looks like a pump to me. The feet below look like they made to bolt down to something solid. From what I can see, it might be a steam or air-powered water pump. Can you post a photo of the other side? Below the opening it looks like a steam or air cylinder. I'd like to see if there are two cylinders, one on the other side.

Hey, I'm in Tegucigalpa, not that far south of you. I'd be very interest in what you're finding up there. :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
So how much does that thing weigh?

empty_pockets

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send a message via AIM to sectshun8
I did find this...

"Actually, most of the things you would find with a metal detector in Belize will put you on the wrong side of the law. The antiquities laws of Belize are very clear - anything more than 50 years old that is found in or on the ground belongs 100% to the people of Belize - NOT to the landowner as US law provides (this makes the US almost unique in the world BTW). Many landowners would not want you looking on their property because if you find a genuine archaeological site (and the law protects ANY site, not just Mayan ones), the government can actually step in and confiscate the land by declaring it an archaeological preserve, and they do not have to offer compensation to the landowner.
It is also completely illegal to look for things in or on the ground on public (Crown) land in Belize without a permit. The fines are substantial and you can even get jail time. This goes for underwater and beaches as well."

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Send a message via AIM to sectshun8
I did find this...

"Actually, most of the things you would find with a metal detector in Belize will put you on the wrong side of the law. The antiquities laws of Belize are very clear - anything more than 50 years old that is found in or on the ground belongs 100% to the people of Belize - NOT to the landowner as US law provides (this makes the US almost unique in the world BTW). Many landowners would not want you looking on their property because if you find a genuine archaeological site (and the law protects ANY site, not just Mayan ones), the government can actually step in and confiscate the land by declaring it an archaeological preserve, and they do not have to offer compensation to the landowner.
It is also completely illegal to look for things in or on the ground on public (Crown) land in Belize without a permit. The fines are substantial and you can even get jail time. This goes for underwater and beaches as well."

Where did you find this information? Belize is heavily influenced by the laws of Britain, but this doesn't sound at all like what I've read about treasure trove laws in England, nor is it like anything I've experienced in Central America. I'm not disputing anything, I'd just like to know.

nor kal kid

Feb 19, 2014
northern kalifornia, Bay area
Detector(s) used
XLT, Mxt all pro, garrett pp.coils 10"DD, 950, 12"spyder.for mxt all pro. Coils for xlt 950 and 15" magnum force field "depth plus"mxt max coil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very interesting find.belize has a lot of history you should be able to findlots of old things.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 967954 View attachment 967956

I was only able to find one photo of a bucket a day coal hot water heater that was of an old one. Seems like a possibility. Perhaps a lot of it has corroded away and/or different design

Different Design but yes Same Difference imo

doesn't matter how warm it normally is in Belize.
just like every where else. eventually you get a 20 degree drop in temps &
fear you will freeze without heat :laughing7:[h=2][/h]

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Different Design but yes Same Difference imo

doesn't matter how warm it normally is in Belize.
just like every where else. eventually you get a 20 degree drop in temps &
fear you will freeze without heat :laughing7:

The heater is used to heat bathroom and kitchen hot water only, not the home.
Hay talk about a hot shower, you really have to be careful using that. Frank...

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, I think I have it. It's a pump for steam engine feed water. When you get it cleaned up a bit, look for any writing. It might say "Marsh" or "Goulds", or something like that.

Here's a photo I found on the internet, but it has no markings.
SteamWaterPump.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread