taking a metal detector on a plane?

didgmike

Greenie
Feb 5, 2007
powhatan, VA just outside of richmond
Detector(s) used
minelab musketeer xs
hey all,

I was planning on flying soon with a new detector . I generally have a rule of carrying on anything that i wouldn't want to get lost/damaged, so the detector fits in that category.

Has anyone carried on a broken down detector? have any issues going through security?

I feel bad for even having to ask.......but I tend to get singled out at airports due to my appearance (long hair, "hippy-looking", etc.....) and want to gauge how much trouble it will be.

thanks,
Mike

jangles

Feb 11, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
MX5 plus many others in the past
I've taken mine on the plane, security people see em all the time, no problem!
I broke it down and had it in a carry on sports bag.
HH John

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, checking with the airlines you are going to fly with is a good idea as rules change. I always carried mine aboard in a bag till I bought a used motor home for travel and sleeping mainly because I don't have a lot of extra money for travel and hotels. At least it was easy and fun that way.

C

Coinage

That looks cool, how will you cut the foam and where would you find the pelican case?
:o

JT2

Aug 9, 2006
Concord MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two weeks ago while flying back from Seattle I ended up carrying-on my Ace250 that was packed into my overstuffed luggage.

I had planned on checking the luggage but flights were delayed in Chicago and I was expecting to have to overnight there, so I had to carry-on my luggage so that I would have it available for the night.

No problem going through security with a metal detector in my carry-on luggage. As I was putting it through the machine I told the operator that there was a metal detector in there and they didn't check it out any further than scanning it with the xray machine.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I have flown with my MD several times,once in the last few months. Carried it on everytime,broke it down all the way and left batteries in the box in case they want to turn it on,I do pack my metal shaft in a checked bag. Never had any trouble in or out of the country. I would be very hesitant to check in a MD especially if you have an expensive unit,airlines will not insure any electronics and the maximum amount any bag can be insured for is $150.00,HH...Shoot

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I travel alot to multiple homes, right after 9-1-1, I decided the best policy was to ship ahead Via UPS insured. Worst problem I've ever encountered was sometimes MD arrived before me ! :D
Darn airlines >:(

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you carry one on does it go through the xray machine?
I would think it could harm your electronics

Dandy

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2004
I went to Indiana for the thanksgiving and Christmas Holiday from Florida last season. While I didn't take my MD, I did ask the TSA people about taking it and they told me that there was no restriction. That was good news of course. As fast as those restrictions change these days, it would probably be wise to check with those folks(TSA's) before traveling. I'm not certain how to contact them though. If any of you know--pass it on to the rest of us!

Tom Walter

Greenie
Feb 19, 2005
A metal detector shouldn't be a problem. Often, security asks that electronic equipment be turned on, but only occasionally. If the aircraft is very full, an in-flight might ask that it be checked "special handling" which means they stow it under the aircraft but hand deliver it to you at the jet way upon landing. I would just take it and not worry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread