Abbreviations & Slang (of metal detecting) A Comprehensive List

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

empty_pockets

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.goldfeverprospecting.com/medete.html.......There are a lot more, just have to look.... introbluesky.jpg

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
While hanging in a tree upside down --- THERE'S JUICE IN THE HOLE!. :BangHead:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oooh juicy roundness!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Ive alway liked,Hey just found a nice coin.Anything less makes whoever says it sound like a,well I wont type it.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What exactly are you looking for? Terms used between TH'ers (treasure hunters), MD'ing (metal detecting), GL. HH (good luck / happy hunting, that sort of thing?

Or detector terminology like empty-pockets posted?

Usually I just ask if I come across something in a post & I don't know what it means, cause each section may have it's own set of slang terms.

I haven't run across a a metal detecting terms/slang dictionary yet, there may be one, I don't know.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slang :) Well here's one I learned while prospecting down under in Australia. Little story to it too ;)

I was working on a pending lease, mining claim that's not active yet, down by a creek that had been dry blown and pushed. In the bush you keep in contact with your mates via radio and often one leaves in on scan to pick up on any others working in the area *yeah eaves dropping hehh hehh*. Well this creek bordered an active claim and there were a couple of blokes chatting their finds as they worked the same border I was on. I kept hearing the term "fairy fart" and it got me to wondering. After a bit I ran into one of the guys and we stopped to chat.... and look at our maps, define the boarder *yes I was legal..*.... well I mentioned that I had heard them chatting and at that time over the radio his mate called out another "fairy fart"... Course I had to ask what it was he was talking about and it was explained to me that gold nuggets in the sub-gram range were said Farts ;)
In all it was a good meeting. No they never knew I was listening in *turned off my radio when I heard him up the creek* and as it is all parties found a few fairy farts... and I found a nice 2 grammer they had missed.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! Maybe some one should make a TH'ing dictionary! I have a feeling it would get quite a few laughs!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread