If You found a Treasure Chest would You tell anyone ?

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First call the Police, then call the IRS, then the Government, couse I am sure it is theirs:laughing7: Are you kidding me.....................silence is not only golden, but smart, if you want to keep YOUR treasure, YOU found!!!:laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
of Course I would tell someone !

I don't distrust Everyone

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not a sole

liftloop

empty_pockets

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loose-lips-sink-ships-Billboard-Oak-Ridge-During-World-War-II-1940s.jpg .....THE.... unclesamshakesbyfeet.gif ....I think the majority of us have no idea what in Sam hill we would do if we ever found a chest...I hope some of us would keep our cool and think things out....... pg25_540_01.jpg

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Why tell anyone? Just alerts our greedy government to it, if you like your treasure you can keep your treasure! Lol. Only if your silent about it

sent from a potato...

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOTHING good will come from speakig to anybody……detect, shovel, shut up…….
There is NO secret if more than 1 person knows about it……….

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So what you are telling us is that you found my chest full of treasure!?

I lost that just the other day and want it back.:laughing7:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I'd first remove 98% of said treasure...then I'd tell everybody..look at this!

Mike

And they would come out of the woodwork to claim it. You would be watched by umpteen detectives and finally all would be known. Frank... 111-1 profileblk.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I would tell no one about the cache, however I would report income as art sales to cover my enlarged spending. The thing is you don't want a direct tie between a cache find and you. This avoids all sorts of claims and government checks. The increase income reporting would cover any kickout checks by the IRS on my spending. Another factor is all my spending would be by cash. This helps cut the trail.
Even My fuel would be by cash in order to leave no traceable trail. It can be done if you think about it BEFORE you make move #1 in the process. Frank...
111-1 profileblk.jpg

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mums the word. Granted it seems like common since however its the loose lips that sink ships and get the other guys hand in your pocket.

Would I ever talk about it? Yeah probably some years down the line when I've managed to do what I wish with said treasure. And such talk would only be indirect. No need to tie my name to the now lost treasure ;)

I never found a treasure but figured out this rule of thumb the hard way while prospecting. A patch of gold nuggets is just as good as a treasure chest. It draws vultures and seagulls like and chunk of iron is drawn to a magnet... screws up your enjoyment of the find and causes a lot of hate and discontent with people you consider(ed) friends.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just quietly disappear. Here's a hint as to where I might be. Or is it?

Attachments

• image-1743205614.jpg
    image-1743205614.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 81

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
all of these schemes to hide your discovery sounds like a hassle. I think I'll leave it where I found it.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No way would i tell.Besides the government every neighbor/relative/friend and old girlfriends would be hounding you for a piece of the pie. Doc-d and frankn said it best.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never found the treasure chest and that is the story I'm sticking to...

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think not, no one knew it was there before and no one will know after. If you talk you will invite more trouble & people down on your self than you would know what to do with!

As KVM & GC said, keep your mouth shut! It will be one of the hardest things you will ever do.
Retain some form of legal means of producing income, you ill need it as cover.

Meep

Oct 30, 2013
San Diego
Of course the smart thing to do is shut up about it and reap the benefits of the loot sold off in interesting ways.

But really, it'd almost be impossible not to tell SOMEONE. Half the fun of treasure hunting is in the search and sharing what you found! Id definitely share that I found "a few" cool things on here and keep the rest until I've had my fun with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread