Very important..please read.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Mods please don't mod this, placed a link here for traffic volume.
I posted a story about online security, a new bug discovered, and if you do anything online, and since you are reading this you do!

Please read this as it is a severe issue, almost everything you do online could be affected, banking, chatting..any and everything.
Here is the link below.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/everything-else/409592-everybody-should-read-very-important.html

I post things like this because I care about my fellow humans.

Mike

empty_pockets

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hacker.jpg ...As soon as you turn your computer on and check your mail, your IP & ISP are already exposed.....Go about your business and anyone can be hacked...BUG NOT REQUIRED.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I'm a total idiot when it comes to stuff like this, so I have an I-pad that is on my daughter's phone service thru Verizon. Since I am on T Net will I have a problem?

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I heard about this the other day. They are confident all sites will have this risk fixed within a few days from discovery, which means most are done now. I believe the ones most at risk would be people who use a public wifi service ( i.e. a library, office bldg, etc ). On a home based network, someone would have to be targeting you specifically as mentioned above.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
That's not correct, this bug is not something that targets individuals, rather the servers that banks, ecommerce governments all sorts of things use, it allows somebody to basically see any and all encrypted traffic over certain secure sockets, its really rather technical.
Basically you should change your passwords for everything, providing the service you use patches their servers.

Seeing with this bug which has been there for over 2 years and just recently discovered, somebody with the knowledge to exploit it could have seen all traffic for say your bank for example..for those 2 years, the worst part about it, is doing so leaves no trace of it happening.
This affects everything that goes online, be it your iPhone, tablet laptop..whatever, since its server side, and effectively encompasses most things online, it all depends on the server software used.
Its very technical but I found a site that has easy to read as well techy info.
And of this morning, it seems its worse than what people thought.
I'll put links to useful stories about it.
Heartbleed Bug

Little Internet users can do to thwart 'Heartbleed' bug | Reuters

If that is still difficult to understand I'll try more later, the second link is user friendly!

Mike

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
According to the story on the radio, BC, it is correct. They are aware of it and all should be fixed very soon if not already. I hope this is true anyway. They were saying do NOT change passwords because you have to log on BEFORE the sites have the bug secured. Their advice was to stay OFF all the encrypted sites until probably this weekend ( they were hoping to have it contained and fixed by then ). I would recommend people CALL their banking institutions and ask them personally when they have their log on sites secured. They say definitely do not buy anything online until then. I am not trying to contradict you, BC, Just relaying the news story as reported by a local public radio station that has very reliable stories to date. All should definitely be aware and take precautions. Good post you've made. Thank you.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread