Found a large cent today...to clean or not?

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a large cent today here on the farm and possibly a sword. Well, what's left of a sword. I know the sword part probably isn't worth much cleaned or otherwise, but how about the large cent? I can clearly read "One Cent", but that's about it. Suggestions? So far I've only soaked it in hot soapy water.

IMG_0193.JPG IMG_0194.JPG IMG_0217.JPG

OP
OP
Juice in the hole

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
haha :) What empty pockets is talking about, is the ongoing debate whenever this subject comes up. Someone is always sure to come on saying: Neeeevveeer clean coins. No doubt born out of horror stories of someone cleaning their gold coins with ajax or something.

But the other side of the debate points out that .... if we're quite honest with ourselves, a lot of the coins we md'rs find, will get laughed out of the sellers/collectors markets, in the shape they're in.

IMHO opinion, yes, you can clean coins. The issue is HOW you clean then, so as not leave any traces/evidences that you did it. An un-natural shine, or signs of abrasive effort, will .... yes ... lower their value. But there are ways/methods for each type coin (depending on composition), that , if done correctly, can in fact add to the value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread