Detectorists in Newport News, Viginia

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm finally writing my book on Virginia Forts, Camps & Batteries. Don't expect it real soon as I've only reached the C's and it's already 14 pages. I was checking a foot note on Fort, Camp and Battery Butler that was located near I-664 and Terminal Avenue. Pull up Google Maps then cut and paste the following into the Search box: 36.9621863,-76.4151173 . This shows the hull outlines of two sailing ships within the Newport News Marine Terminal. Anyone have an idea when and why they are there? I've written to the Russell Parrish, President of the Warwick Historical Preservation Association, Warwick County Courthouse, 14415 Old Courthouse Way, Newport News, VA 23608-3728 Library (757) 988-1055.
Anyone want to respond and become a volunteer active member for $15 as a Field Recovery Representative for his Historical Society which might gain access to explore the green area for relics of Battery Butler. I'm sure Mr. Parrish might have other areas to other volunteers to explore. I've done the same in my area and can walk into the Historical Society Museum in Tavares, FL and point out my finds that I donated. I had the fun of digging them and sharing them with countless people.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread