Poll....Hunting Under Government Supervision?

How many of you would be willing to treasure hunt unger Gov. supervison?

• gladly..love the adventure!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • with reservations

• Not a chance!

• Total voters
T

treasurejack

It seems inevitable that certain threads will evolve into a legal debate over whether the finder would be able to keep his valuable find if the governing agencies found out about it. Establishing and debating legal issues is not my intention with this thread, but rather given the complexity of these laws in general, I was just wondering how many of you would be willing to continue the hunt for "that dream find" under direct government supervision, if for no other reason then just to experience the simple thrill and mysteries involved in the overall adventure?

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
Just thought I would give a little thought on this.

It is possible to get a treasure trove permit.

I found it difficult to work with the government. They were willing to let me spend all the money for research and recovery. They also had no problems making me pay for environmental studies and reports.

I had to bring in attorneys and other experts.

If a recovery is made you might be able to keep 10% if you are lucky.

I might do it again if I had the right project and had no other way to do it.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I might consider a dream come true hunt under gov supervision... sure. It's what the archies do all the time... right?

Would prefer the freedom to simply gain permission, then, finder's keepers except fo the items set forth in the permission process.

My buddy Tony and I had legal written/signed contracts with county authorities to hunt areas exclusively, agreeing to turn over significant relics, and keeping all other finds to ourselves... and it worked wonderfully. Although, we didn't have anyone babysitting us, so that was nice. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed an assigned babysitter going along on every trip though...

All my experiences have been local and small scale.

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
I think if they are goin to be taking finds from someone that is digging them up, then they should compensate that person for their time as well as their finds. Some of the attitudes expressed by people that hold historical property, or historical societies gets downright ridiculous. I cannot agree that an item left in the ground to rot is part of an areas history, no more than the grass that grows over it. Yes, I would hunt "with a baby-sitter" as long as there was an airtight contract to compensate me for my efforts.

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
I wouldn't want any government ding dong looking over my shoulder. Especially, when there would be a very good chance that some grave robbing archie would be overseeing any type of digging that may be done.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's none of their business as long as I'm following the code!!!!

G

ghosthunter

Not a chance!!!! I played hide & seek with the Goons when I was 18 yrs. old. It was a pain then, it's an even bigger pain now. That was 43 years ago. They control everything now...
Good Hunting..ghosthunter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread