Just bought my first machine. Anyone have any advice?

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi DE; First is JOIN A CLUB.!! The amount of info and digging partners will far outweigh the costs ok. Second, Get a copy of the RS YEOMAN Guide To United States Coins. It is commonly called "The Red Book"ok. It is basically the BIBLE of all Coins ever used in the USA ok. Third, Buy the "BEST" Headphones you can buy. You can't find something if you can't hear it ok. Third, LEARN how to dig a hole properly. Any idiot can dig a hole but to do so and leave no trace of your hole takes skill ok. READ AD LEARN the Treasure Hunting Code of Ethics ok. YES We do use and live by them. We are serious about them ok. The basic Rules are simple: Fill Your Holes, Take out ALL trash with you, Obey the Laws, If you have any questions ASK someone here. We will be very glad to help you. We are the Pro's here ok. Learn how to clean things properly. It will save you a lot of misery and money ok. I wish you the best and welcome to the Forum. PEACE:RONB

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You must first learn to believe that your machine is the best machine there is. Then learn how to use it. Then enjoy all your firsts! You will never forget them. Oh, and have fun too! GL HH

OP
OP
D
Jun 23, 2011
Thanks everyone for the advice!

RonB,

I already joined a local group and have done a considerable amount of reading about trace-free digging.

Nitric,
I intend to have lots of fun and maybe get a little excercise!

MrMikeJackie, I bought an AT pro, the machine I was introduced on. I believe it's a dependable and quality machine. I can't to get out there!!!

~~~~~~~~
I'm out of money now but I plan on buying a GArrett pro pointer, waterproof headphones and a Lescher ASAP. For me now it's just a spade and the default headphones...

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say go to a place in forest or fields where digging alot is no prob.Then dig every signal untill you can id more that half of them.Stick to regular mode for awhile on your at pro.
cheers

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Just bought my first machine. Anyone have any advice?

Yup,Dont stick in your closet just because you didnt find anything worthwhile your first few times out.If its sitting in your closet,you'll never find anything worthwhile.

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Have fun!

Learn how to dig plugs in your own yard.

Respect property that is not yours.

Learn your machine and read the manual several times.

Have fun!!!

Good luck!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always check the hole/plug again before covering - often more than one target.
luvsdux

empty_pockets

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
images.jpg ....answers are perfect....Have Fun...

OP
OP
D
Jun 23, 2011
Yup,Dont stick in your closet just because you didnt find anything worthwhile your first few times out.If its sitting in your closet,you'll never find anything worthwhile.

Great advice, with nothing accomplished nothing can be gained. This valley was literally stained red between 62-64. A terrible fact, but one that makes me believe a lot of bullets and buttons were dropped.

-Matt

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One last thing, post your finds so we all can enjoy them with you! Happy dance post would be nice from time to time. :laughing7:

sparkgirl

Jul 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assume that you are being watched all the time....lol...not to be paranoid, but when you detect and there are people around, they WILL look at you!

One time I had no idea someone was watching me, and after carefully replacing a plug the guy commented that it didn't even look like anyone even touched the ground...sooo basically, be a good detectorist :)

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're getting some great advice here. Don't get discouraged at what everyone is finding.Just like regular fishing,some days you catch some and other days not.Just relax and enjoy being outside with no expectations.Learn your machine and try not to swing too fast and more importantly,make sure your coil is not tipped up. good luck and welcome to TN!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread