old swimming holes and floods

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
depends on the type body of water, but generally, if a creek or river is prone to "boom and bust" cycles, then yes: swimming holes will be silted in at times, then blown out at others, and so forth. Where I'm at in CA, for instance, is a "chapparel" type of terrain. And any swim hole along creeks or river are no good. At least in-so-far as in the water type hunting. Granted beaches up higher that aren't affected, will be different. But in the path of water and wet-sand is always scr*wed up with torrential flows, subsding to totally dry seasonals.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
water flows slower on the bottom than the top so it hard to say unless. there is silt like tom suggested and dab-re scraping the bottom and putting it in the upper flow were it moves along swiftly just to settle out further down the river....

liftloop

posted with windows xp

OP
OP
D

dooy

Apr 7, 2014
WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot guys,I think I might give water a try this summer.Ill let you know how it go's.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the bottom type. Is it silt, sand, or gravel? Gravel is VERY hard to move. I have been gold dredging in gravel beds which had massive floods come through and my hole was still there afterwards. Anything else would probably get blown out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions